Must try roasters of the world

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Must try roasters of the world

Postby RolandGlew » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:19 pm

This is a call for opinions please!

I've been getting more and more obsessed.. urm, I mean enthusiastic ;) ... about coffee for a few years now. I found HasBean through a CoffeeGeek reference quite a while back now, and have been subscribing and hooked ever since.

That's done wanders in terms of expanding my palette, my coffee skills and my enjoyment... and has kept me extremely well stocked in great coffee. I'm currently pretty much the only person I know (locally) who is really into coffee, so I have to get through all the coffee myself, around my work (I work in a coffee shop - no time to stop and try my own beans :P ).

Drinking that much coffee is hard work (albeit enjoyable :D) and a backlog of beans was threatening, so I'm taking a short break from my HasBean subscription. I'm also really wanting to take this opportunity to try some other roasters. I don't feel I'll be a proper coffee geek until I've tried more of the international roasters everyone talks about ;) So I thought I'd ask the experts - suggestions please! I'm going to start with Scandinavia - probably Coffee Collective or Tim Wendleboe first - but what are the top international "must try" roasters? (keeping the roast styles as diverse as possible - this is all about getting as wide an experience as possible)
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

RE: Must try roasters of the world

Postby kingseven » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:25 pm

From the US:

Intelligentsia
Stumptown
Ritual
Counter Culture Coffee
Four Barrel
Coava
Ecco
Madcap
Barismo
Terroir/George Howell Coffee Company

Canada:
49th Parallel
Transcend
Phil & Sebastien

Norway:
Tim Wendelboe (though they've stopped all export I think)
Solberg & Hansen
Supreme Roastworks
Kaffa

Sweden:
Koppi
Da Matteo
Haugaard
Johan & Nystrom

Denmark:
Coffee Collective
Copenhagen Roaster

Australia:
Seven Seeds
Market Lane

There are loads more, and I know I've missed some extremely obvious ones, but that should at least get you started....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Bombcup » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Don't forget to seek out some of the UK's other speciality roasters too;

James' Gourmet Coffee, Climpson & Sons, Nude Espresso are getting their webshop soon, and Red Roaster of Brighton might do mail order. You should try that Kingseven's stuff too ;)
Bombcup

Postby JulieJayne » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Netherlands:
CoffeeXperts
Beans Coffee
Bocca

or check out this thread Nederlandse koffiebranders from a the Dutch coffee forum.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Er, like Mr Bomb mentioned, you should certainly check out Squaremile, if you haven't already! Monmouth too for brewed.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby MW_SW19 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:00 pm

I am a bit like you Rowland in that I haven't tried much beyond hasbean.

I have tried one of Monmouth's filters and wasn't 100% impressed but I will make the trip back into central London and try more from them.

But I have had the opportunity via theotherblackstuff blog to try coffee from 5 senses in Australia which was really good. The stuff on the site is mainly aimed at espresso drinkers though.
MW_SW19

Postby RolandGlew » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks all! lots of great ideas to try :) I've tried sqm in london shops - including the incredible Penny University. I'm absolutely looking forward to trying the sqm beans at home :) I've checked and the Tim Wendelboe website mentions they aren't shipping abroad, which is a shame - thanks for mentioning James. Really looking forward to trying some of your suggestions - thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and particularly to Kingseven for a big list to get me started :D - looking forward to doing that.
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Postby radish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:55 pm

I'll second James Gourmet Coffee - their Kenya Karamikui is wonderful.
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Postby tap » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:51 am

finland is a bit late with good coffee but

kaffa roastery

is doing good job in taking speciality coffee further here..

"Deliveries outside Finland are made only on special inquery because of..."

another place in turku works locally.
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 am

I'm watching you roland beady eye one you :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Steve wrote:I'm watching you roland beady eye one you :)

Bloody hell, Dr Livingstone I presume? ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Adding to James' list, also for Canada:

Detour Coffee. Kaelin doesn't have an online store yet; however, if you can PayPal, I think he'll be pleased to send you stuff. I know that another TMC'er in UK phoned Kaelin last Xmas to order stuff. I'm sure an email will work just as well. Also, I only recently sent some beans to Cakey to try... so NUTCakes... review already! Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Punch Buggy and it is Kaelin's 'baby'. And just today, I got the OK from the owners to test out the PB decaf @ the shop in a couple weeks' time :D Ever since Intelli's decaf (most undecaf decaf I've EVER tried), I've yet to encounter any that comes even close... so my search for decaf continues :( Currently, t just SUCKS to adjust decaf espresso every day :( I need to find something I actually WANT to taste.

Another one getting solid raves (but I've yet to try, although REALLY REALLY want to try) is Social Coffee Company.

Sam James uses coffee beans from Toi & Moi Cafe in Montreal. All I know is, Sam's shop always serves a kick-ass espresso. I had a double macc just this past Wednesday and it was glORious :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Edward » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:02 pm

More from the UK:

Atkinson & Co - Lancaster - http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk
Edward

Postby Aadje » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:03 pm

The netherlands: gebrand.nl
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 am

Edward wrote:More from the UK: