Static caused by freezing beans?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Static caused by freezing beans?

Postby Lambo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm

When I have too much coffee to use immediately, I freeze the surplus in the original bags until I need to use it. Recently I've come to the conclusion that beans that have been frozen seem to suffer more from static in the grinder than non-frozen beans. Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just my imagination :?:
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Olings » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:20 pm

The freezing of coffee dries out the beans making them more static. I suggest you buy less more often, and keep what you don't use in a dry, cool and airtight place. Not the freezer nor the fridge.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby Lambo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm

I only tend to buy a kilo or so each time - it's more cost-effective in terms of postage. I've also noticed that grinding for espresso doesn't seem to produce as much static as when grinding coarser for filter - I thought it would have been the reverse!
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping