Square Mile Winter Espresso

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Square Mile Winter Espresso

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:16 pm

I've almost finished my bag of Square Mile Winter Espresso roasted on 25th Jan. Using it at home on the Silvia and it is producing without doubt the sweetest and most complex Espresso I have ever made at home, there is loads of body and it is utterly delicious.

It is really cutting through the milk too producing a really satisfying deep flavour that I love in my Cappuccino.

Ground 21g's with Mazzer Mini through Synesso Double Ridgeless basket (MZ.107) in 23 - 25 secs producing around 21g's of Espresso. Superb
Chris

RE: Square Mile Winter Espresso

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Sounds lovely :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Styles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Try their Progresso.

Wonderful.
Styles

Postby dsc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi guys,

it is indeed a very nice blend and I'm very curious what the Progresso tastes like (I've got two bags waiting to be opened).

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby HarmDommisse » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 am

I also had a few bag of it. Really nice and good coffee.
ThuisBarista.nl what else?
VBM Domobar RVS - Brasilia Club - Cona model D - Technivorm KBG741 - Aeropress - La San Marco SM90
In the grinder: Empty,
HarmDommisse

Postby Viernes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:47 am

Do you use the recommended 21gr. dose? Or this triple dosing only works on a Synesso? I can not make triples on my Spaziale. :cry:

By the way, do you get the notes of apricots, marmalade and dried fruit described?

Thanks.
Viernes

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 am

oton wrote:Do you use the recommended 21gr. dose? Or this triple dosing only works on a Synesso? I can not make triples on my Spaziale. :cry:

You will need to get a triple basket and probably a naked portafilter since a triple basket probably won't fit in a normal, spouted portafilter.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Viernes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:08 pm

I know. Thanks :)

But LaSpaz don't make triple baskets for their 53mm PFs. So it's not easy to get one that fits. Anyway I'd like a double spouted PF that accepts triple baskets, to serve espressos to my family and friends but I think this is impossible. :(
Viernes

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 pm

I have a very hazy memory (as are most memories at my age) of a triple portafilter. It was deeper than a normal portafilter and had 3 spouts. Undoubtedly it was 58mm and I have no idea where it came from. Of course, the alternative is to pour the triples into a beaker or other (prewarmed) vessel and divide the shot into cups. It's not the most attractive solution, but it works and in my experience the shots don't really lose a lot of quality by doing it. You lose some crema off the top, but if you spoon off the crema and taste it you may find it isn't exactly your cup of tea, either :roll: :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby kingseven » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm

In a 53mm you should get some good results with lower doses - I'd drop it down to 18g as a starting point, depending on how big your dispersion block is. (Little known fact for La Spaz owners - there are thinner blocks available to go under the screens to allow more room in the baskets for coffee.)
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby triptogenetica » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Bruce,
You will need to get a triple basket and probably a naked portafilter since a triple basket probably won't fit in a normal, spouted portafilter.

Oton,
Anyway I'd like a double spouted PF that accepts triple baskets, to serve espressos to my family and friends but I think this is impossible.

My triple basket does fit my normal (double spouted) PF. It's a standard 58mm from Happy Donkey, with one of their triple baskets which came with a bottomless PF.

I've been meaning to start using it like this, to split triples between the two of us, but haven't done so because -

- I'm a little afraid to relearn the triple (am getting good results with the double)
- I don't wish to increase my caffeine intake (high enough as it is)

But I should try it. Is a triple basket loaded with >20g of coffee worth doing? I don't know - i should find out :)
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby Styles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 am

I had some really lovely results yesterday (23/2), using Winter Espresso roasted on the 15th.

19.4g / Synesso 'Double' Basket, Naked PF / 8s Pre-Infusion / 32s Extraction / 1.75oz yield.
Styles

Postby Viernes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks all for the answers. :wink:

kingseven wrote:In a 53mm you should get some good results with lower doses - I'd drop it down to 18g as a starting point, depending on how big your dispersion block is. (Little known fact for La Spaz owners - there are thinner blocks available to go under the screens to allow more room in the baskets for coffee.)

I have the thinner block. Thanks for the tip anyway. ;) I've tried with 18gr and it seems that is the max. dose I can reach because the bolt attached to the shower screens touches the puck. This dose size made me think that perhaps I'm loosing more big mouthfeel...

By the way, do you get the notes of apricots, marmalade and dried fruit described?

I answer myself. :lol:

Jesus! Of course I get notes of apricots, in fact isn't "apricot notes" is a whole apricot in front of your mouth. :lol:

Grrreat coffee. One of the greatest I've tasted for sure. I have to dial it better because I get some "apricot" bitter notes, but I'm sure is not the coffee itself, is my technique. I'm very happy overall; and I have to say that I love the griffin creature logo! Hey Square Mile guys, do you have a poster? :D
Viernes

Postby dunkster » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:35 pm

oton wrote:Hey Square Mile guys, do you have a poster? :D

They have T Shirts! I want one
dunkster

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping