grit

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

grit

Postby dsc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi guys,

since some councils already ran out of grit I was curious why don't they mix sand and salt to create an anti-slipper mixture? I always thought that's what grit is, but found out recently that it's actually only salt. Has UK ever used sand-salt mixes, or not?

And in case you are wondering, yes I am bored.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: grit

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't think so. As far as I know, most of our 'grit' comes from the salt flats by the coast in southern Spain. I know that we bought some in from Scandanavia last winter when we were caught out. We never learn ....
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Bombcup » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Scarborough council are using sand from the beach.

I'm bored too. Texas Hold 'Em here I come.

Edit: Finished just outside the money. Balls.
Bombcup

Postby Jaanus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:03 am

What poker client You use Bombcup? PP?
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Re: grit

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 am

dsc wrote:Hi guys,

since some councils already ran out of grit I was curious why don't they mix sand and salt to create an anti-slipper mixture? I always thought that's what grit is, but found out recently that it's actually only salt. Has UK ever used sand-salt mixes, or not?

And in case you are wondering, yes I am bored.

Regards,
dsc.

I believe it is normal to use rock salt which is more effective than sand or grit and, I guess, would cause less problems in the drains.

News reports state that a temperature of -17 Celcius was recorded in parts of Oxfordshire last night, that is colder than the temperature recorded in Moscow!:shock: I hope that the gritting supplies are sufficient to ensure that CakeBoy is not cut off from his Muffin supply. :? :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 am

GreenBean wrote:News reports state that a temperature of -17 Celcius was recorded in parts of Oxfordshire last night

Mark must have switched off some of his machines for once!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Re: RE: grit

Postby Bombcup » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:11 am

Jaanus wrote:What poker client You use Bombcup? PP?

I'm on Full Tilt Poker, only the $10 tables. I've only ever deposited once and I'm still up for now!
Bombcup

re

Postby dsc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:24 am

Hi guys,

the reason sand is used is because it works quite well on both snow and ice, giving extra friction. Salt lowers the melting point of water, but tends to cover/corode anything metal it touches. This is probably the reason why it's mixed with sand, a 50-50 mixture would work well to give you more grip probably and would solve (at least partially) the problem of not enough salt in the UK.

Funny enough -17*C was the thing that welcomed me in to Poland when I went there for Christmas. Nice to walk around, but not so great to drive around with ice covering most roads.

Hopefully Cakes has a lot of muffins stashed somewhere in the house and will be fine for the next few days:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:50 am

GreenBean wrote:News reports state that a temperature of -17 Celcius was recorded in parts of Oxfordshire last night, that is colder than the temperature recorded in Moscow!:shock: I hope that the gritting supplies are sufficient to ensure that CakeBoy is not cut off from his Muffin supply. :? :?

Yup that was here. Oddly, it felt okay during the night though the heating is still not working properly in the previously mentioned rad.

Oh and send muffins, send muffins ..... I'm wasting away :(

Gouezeri wrote:
GreenBean wrote:News reports state that a temperature of -17 Celcius was recorded in parts of Oxfordshire last night

Mark must have switched off some of his machines for once!

Anna was all that stood between us and frozen beans! :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: grit

Postby motoman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 pm

I'm chucking my coffee ground out of the front door, they do seem to stop me slipping over. It feels a bit like not drinking.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: RE: grit

Postby Jaanus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:50 am

Bombcup wrote:
Jaanus wrote:What poker client You use Bombcup? PP?

I've only ever deposited once and I'm still up for now!

Good for You *thumbs up*
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Return to Off Topic