The Missing Bean Oxford

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The Missing Bean Oxford

Postby dr.chris » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Made the (sadly only) annual trip to Oxford to meet the relatives.

The Missing Bean - We managed to find it.

It is indeed only about 3 doors down from the whiskey shop on Turl street. They use Darlington's coffee and have a La Marzocco machine (I suspect its a Linea although I am miles away from being an expert). They are a very friendly bunch and it was nice coffee in a relaxed setting. They obviously know what they are doing. The wife had a cold so couldnt taste much but my double espresso was nice and smokey with lovely mouth feel. I wouldnt say it was better than what we do at home but thats probably as much to do with personal taste as anything else. We'd definitely go there again ( and we did make it there twice) They also did nice fresh orange juice for our 2 boys. Also some nice little touches like supplying a glass of water with the espresso and automatically supplying a cake with two forks instead of just one.

The 2nd day we went there (today) was very wet and with the windows steamed up no.2 son decided on some artwork. (Maybe he was inspired by the Bridget Riley prints or maybe not) I am not sure which is the self portrait.

They also had some very nice looking cakes (we tried the carrot cake and it was excellent) and had some nice looking pastries and paninis but not too big a range which I think is a good sign.
Attachments
espresso and cap at missing bean.jpg
espresso and cap at missing bean.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 11007 times
no2 son art works.jpg
no2 son art works.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 11007 times
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby RisingPower » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:09 am

Wish there was somewhere like this in cambridge :(
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby bruceb » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 am

Wish there was something like this in all of Germany (ok, maybe there is in Berlin).
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby RisingPower » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 am

bruceb wrote:Wish there was something like this in all of Germany (ok, maybe there is in Berlin).

Well, to be fair, you do virtually own your own coffee shop :P
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby bruceb » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:23 pm

RisingPower wrote:
bruceb wrote:Wish there was something like this in all of Germany (ok, maybe there is in Berlin).

Well, to be fair, you do virtually own your own coffee shop :P

Yeah, and that means I have to wash up afterwards. :( :lol:

It's true, I really enjoy making and drinking my coffee in our beautiful home. I try not to forget to be thankful for that. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby RisingPower » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 pm

bruceb wrote:Yeah, and that means I have to wash up afterwards. :( :lol:

It's true, I really enjoy making and drinking my coffee in our beautiful home. I try not to forget to be thankful for that. :D

I'm just surprised they don't clean themselves after :)

At least you can confide in the fact you're probably having the best coffee in the whole of germany. Or at least a major portion of it.
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:02 am

Nice write-up Dr.C .... excellent 'handiwork' too :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Just 'bean' back as we got to have a day in Oxford looking at bugs (its a long story). They are now using (and selling) their own beans. We didn't ask about the provenance but the taste is much improved from our last visit (and it wasn't bad then). Interesting smokey flavor.

Pic to follow later, but we were seriously impressed.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Return to Places to drink coffee