Espresso rocked - Long live the Chemex!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 am

Another one joins the club! Certainly is money well spent Tom...Some coffees are just perfect thru it imho. I prefer it to espresso in every way...quick, clean and easy!
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 am

Damn, I'm getting tempted now, especially for that oh so wonderful mug of brewed after Christmas dinner :D

Two daft questionsplease if I may: Does it come with some filters or do they need to be bought at the same time, and could someone please equate the cup sizes to mugs in Chemex maths, is it 2 cups equals a mug or something else? Ta muchly :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby darrensandford » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38 am

I bought the 3-6 cup model, and you do need to buy filter papers at the same time. Not sure about how big a cup is though! I'm guessing that the two-cup = one mug is about right, I reckon that three mugs would be it's limit.

Only had it for a few days, and I'm loving what it produces. So much better than my filter cone.
darrensandford

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks Darren. We currently use a Bodum Swiss Gold pour-over, but want something cleaner with absolutely no bitter tastes. Would you say this is the answer?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby darrensandford » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Definitely. So far I have only got clean, crisp flavours. If you hold the chemex up to the light the coffee looks quite beautiful - deep dark red, crystal clear.

Don't be shocked at the size of the filter paper packet though - I thought Steve had sent me a load of old vinyl 12" records :D

If it cost much more I would've been wary about spending money on it, but I found that it was about right for me. Even if you don't like the coffee, you can always use it as a vase! :D
darrensandford

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Sounds lovely. I must have had a cup of chemex at some point or another, though I can't recall for sure. I've just emailed Steve with a daft question about 'underloading'. If a number of cups smaller than the capacity is required does the size of the filter affect the resulting brew? Presumably one doses for the number of cups actually required, or does the filter require a certain depth of grinds to perform properly? :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby darrensandford » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:31 pm

I don't know - I am going to experiment with grind and dose. I tend to brew for one large mug anyway, but am trying to work out how low I can go.
darrensandford

Postby espressomattic » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Cakes - 2 cups = 1 mug +/- a bit.

Go on get one.... :twisted:
espressomattic

Postby darrensandford » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:41 pm

espressomattic wrote:Cakes - 2 cups = 1 mug +/- a bit.

Go on get one.... :twisted:

There you go! Also, it must be strong and durable, if it isn't broken yet! :twisted:
darrensandford

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:37 pm

:lol: He's broken it really but won't let on ;)

Steve replied saying that the size to doseage ratio does affect the brew a bit so it's best to buy roughly the size usually required. He also said it is possible to make adjustments with grind and doseage to offset the physical depth of grounds in the filter. I think a 3-6 should suit us for a couple of decent mugs, or from which to serve cups when more than 2-3 people are sharing a jug. I think we'll order one with our Christmas coffee stash in a few days time :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:34 pm

Seriously durable - the proof it is still intact is in the cup of Mandheling sitting in front of me! Dare not break this...bloody expensive vase!

I have the smallest version 1-2 cups and that suits for 1 and a bit mugs, depending on grind/dose. And I have to say, I was given this coffee by a mate and it was rough as sandpaper in the espresso - my golly goodness, the sweet notes stand out, earthy spicy notes floating in there with a smooth, full body.

BTW - they double up as a great little decanter for cheeky Pinot Noirs from Malborough!!
espressomattic

Postby icke » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:19 pm

i just got one a few weeks ago too. seems as contagious as swine flu... ;)

i'm wondering what a good dosage would be though. we have the 3-6 cup version but drink just from mugs too. so i usually aim for 3 mugs, which makes is about 3/4 full. so, how many gram of ground coffee would be a good dose per mug then? i started with about 15g as this is roughly what i use for a double espresso. my other half thinks that's a tad light. i tried then 20g, so 60 altogether, but that was way to strong for me...
so, i'm just curious if there is a 'right' amount per mug? i guess some like it weaker others stronger, but as with espresso, i guess there should be a mean...?
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:49 pm

I think James suggests 60g per litre in his video on the SQM site. I'm not sure of the volume you are making but a ratio of James' proportions might work perhaps? It sounds like there is a learning curve for individual personal taste :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm using 60g/1000ml and I'm getting around 19-20% extraction yields.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby icke » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:07 am

what are extraction yields?
(sorry but i seem to be showing my ignorance here i guess...)
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods