VW Splitscreen camper

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby DrTom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:10 pm

How's the VW going?! :D
DrTom

Postby chissit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:26 am

Well, she's under anaesthetic at the moment! Took the engine out to get to rebuild the engine bay area after it had been cut away to suit a type 4 motor. I've chopped out the battery tray and o/s lower 1/4 to repair rust damage.
The gearbox looks ok apart from a leak on the input shaft, it's 1303s box as part of the irs conversion.
I've got to try and sort out the serious amount of -ve camber on the rear wheels though. I'm not sure what's causing it? When I've done welding, I'll try adjusting the spring plates a couple of notches and sit her back down to see the effect. I'll post some pics when I get chance... There's no adjustment anywhere else that I can see, if this doesn't cure it maybe the arm brackets aren't welded in the right place??

Oh and then there's engine back in, rear lights, wiring throughout, new brakes/pads & cables, engine lid to repair, tailgate to repair/refit, pop out hinges and seals, cargo door handle, safari seals, handbrake lever to sort, cab floor repair, MOT. Have lunch and then paint the interior, retrim the seats etc, headlining.... and a whole bunch of other stuff that I don't even know about yet... :lol: :roll:
This week, I are mainly juggling too many balls...

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby DrTom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 am

A gearbox leak on the input shaft? In the bellhouse? The rubber seal is notorious for going bad if I remember correctly - I was lucky not to have to do it. While you are in there you may want to do the release bearing because it's such a cheap job but what a pain when it goes!

The seal for the 'box is here I think:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Beetle ... lateID=vwh

item 13 on that page I think?

The -ve camber? The bus is too high up and the bottoms of the wheels are pointing inwards? It could be that it's set too high on the adjustment but I'm almost certain that the IRS keeps the camber right no matter what the ride height is set at within reason. I used to get freaked out at my camber if I had the car jacked up then put it back on the ground. What 'cured' it was rolling the car back and forward a meter or so a few times (or driving it), to let the wheels edge out. This may not be your problem but it certainly was mine :D

Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you, do you think you will get the seats re-trimmed before tea time?! :D :D
DrTom

Postby chissit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:25 pm

ooops, should that be +ve camber? :oops: The bus was sitting virtually on the deck with about 2" clearance between the exhaust and the floor and the tops of the wheels were approx 2" further in at the top than the bottom. The rear tyres look virtually new on the outer edge but completely bald on the inner! Not good...
I'm gonna pull the 'box out anyway while it's easy and just give it a quick once over with new seals etc... I'll sort the clutch too, but not before tea time :lol: got the interior to complete! I wish!!

Oh and were having a manic week at the coffee bar, busiest since we started 7yrs ago and I'm at home playing with a VDub!! Happy days... :D

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 pm

chissit wrote:Oh and were having a manic week at the coffee bar, busiest since we started 7yrs ago and I'm at home playing with a VDub!! Happy days... :D

Yeah, it's important to keep ones priorities straight! :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby DrTom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Yeah too right! I don't know if that's +ve or -ve, probably should before I start assuming I know what you are talking about! :D Sounds like you may need to adjust that slightly on the torsion splines :D :D

Sounds like it's going strong :)
DrTom

Postby chissit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Yeah, it's important to keep ones priorities straight!

I feel sooo guilty, I should really go straight back to the bar and see if everything's ok... I will, soon.. :wink:

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby Bombcup » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:02 pm

Negative camber FTW!

Seriously though, it's a necessary by-product of slamming a torsion-bar equipped vw. Tyre wear is of course an issue but you're not going to be doing many miles surely? Anyhow, you seem to have plenty of time after lunch so why not fit an airbag kit!!
Bombcup

Postby DrTom » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:08 am

I was thinking yesterday about cal look beetles... ahhhhh... :)
DrTom

Postby Joris » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:40 am

A bit off-topic but hey.. it is a v-dub so ... ;) thought I'd post a couple of pics of my now (almost) finished beetle....
Attachments
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg (90.09 KiB) Viewed 9571 times
R0010820.JPG
R0010820.JPG (101.52 KiB) Viewed 9571 times
R0010816.JPG
R0010816.JPG (107.3 KiB) Viewed 9571 times
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby DrTom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:11 am

Nice Joris! I'm always a fan of matte black beetles! 1303... mmmm! Is it a stock engine/gearbox?
DrTom

Postby Joris » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:39 am

Yep a stock 1300 engine with the stock gearbox. Still need to get tires for the chrome rims I've got and revise the starterengine. Would love to slam the beetle down to the ground but with all the speedbumps here in the Hague it would be hell to drive ;)

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Where are the scythed wheels and spikey bits?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby DrTom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Ahh, now chrome rims would look sweet!
DrTom

Postby Joris » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Gouezeri wrote:Where are the scythed wheels and spikey bits?

You'll know when you sit down in the car :twisted:

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic