French Press Technique

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

re

Postby dsc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:57 am

Hi Jules,

quite well as in 'does the job' or 'sucks at it but better than judging by eye':)

I'm curious whether there's particularly wrong with it or not.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby MKSwing » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Gouezeri wrote:You can only buy pre-ground? Hah! You might as well be drinking Ricoré mate :P

The one for le petit déjeuner, avec le pain et les croissants ?
This will change soon, I will have lots of great beans, but can't say more at the moment :)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Oooh, look forward to hearing about that! C'est un moment de partage aussi! :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Re: re

Postby Jules » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:49 pm

dsc wrote:Hi Jules,

quite well as in 'does the job' or 'sucks at it but better than judging by eye':)

I'm curious whether there's particularly wrong with it or not.

Regards,
dsc.

My only problem with it is that it can take 2-3 seconds for it to detect a 1g difference. I haven't found this to be a significant issue. I've used it for about a year now with no other problems.

Julian
Jules

RE: Re: re

Postby dsc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Resurrecting an oldie for sure:)

Curious if anyone played around with the following method for brewing with a french press:

Boil water, let it sit till it cools down to around 95*C, preheat FP, put your coffee in it (I normally use 15g for 250ml) and pour some water in it for the coffee to bloom (I go with 30ml roughly). Leave it for 30s, after which pour very slowly in the middle, making sure you don't disturb the crust too much. Simply try and make a hole in the crust through which you add water. Pouring will probably take 30-60s, after which you leave it to brew aiming for 3.5 - 4min total. When it's done remove sludge or not, depends what you like and plunge.

So the main difference is simply disturbing the bloomed coffee as little as possible, here's the reason for doing so: when you brew in a PF you get a crust on the top and if you look at the brew from the side you can see coffee grinds sinking slowly. It's as if the grinds sit there brewing and when they had enough contact with the water (or gave away whatever they had to give), they act a bit like a sponge, eventually getting heavier and sinking. I was thinking that maybe when you pour water really quickly you sink some of the grinds that normally wouldn't go down that quickly. Maybe you somehow disturb the process of normal brewing, accelerating it for some grinds. Stupid? maybe so, but try it and let me know what you think:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods