Filter machine suggestions

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Filter machine suggestions

Postby kingseven » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:36 pm

The uber is just hot water though - so you'd still need a brewer of some description. Right now I love to combine the uber and a press pot for exceptional ease and repeatability. It is harder work with a chemex right now.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

Whaddya mean just hot water! :lol: It's a great design, and one of the nicest features, I reckon is that it is non-brewer specific, you can team it up with FP, Chemex, AP, whatever really... Very cool.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Lambo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:11 pm

At least it looks vaguely wife-friendly!
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:13 pm

You referring to the Hoff or the Uber?
:wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 am

:lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Filter machine suggestions

Postby Walter » Fri May 01, 2009 12:32 am

Gouezeri wrote:I've just seen the best thing ever.
Total over kill for this rental project, but it has to be an Uber, definitely the future!

Yeah sure, I want it too ... ever since I first saw it in action! I just wonder if I will be able to afford it...

But for a holiday house??? :?

Edit: Somewhat more on topic, I own - and occasionally use ;) - a small Technivorm Moccamaster with a Swiss-Gold filter and I have to say it works very well and the coffee is quite good. One of the best household filter-machines I came across...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

RE: Re: RE: Filter machine suggestions

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Is nobody a fan of a auto drip machines? i don't use one now but a £10 drip brewer got me into fresh coffee and I still find it quite nice when i visit my mum, but she has just had hers pack up after a several years.

I was hoping to get a recommendation for something to buy her. But I don't think she would want something as large and industrial looking as a technovorm. She tried the aeropress but went right back to the drip. I thought about a chemex but not sure if that would have the same result

She's not on the nescafe or anything, she's still buying hasbean and using a cafetiere but i think if i don't go and get a good drip brewer she will eventually buy a murphy richards again, or is that the height of the consumer market in auto drip machines?
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby tap » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:38 am

http://www.melitta.de/detail_d1_en,18273,1183.html or the basic melitta linea unica.
not own machine brewer myself but had a nice cup of coffee made with this gadget. good for people brewing small amounts. 2cup.
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 am

The Krups T8 is as close to a normal drip machine as you can get for a reasonable price and it will make an excellent cup assuming you use freshly ground, good, fresh coffee.

The rest of the filter or drip machines, aside from the Technivorm, (I have never seen the Melitta Linea Unica, so I can't say anything about that) cannot make good coffee because the water temperature at the outlet above the filter is between 75°C and 85°C. That is the reason the coffee always tastes underextracted and sourish.

edit: Picture added.
Attachments
Krups_T8.jpg
A Krups T8 (available also in black).
Krups_T8.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Re: RE: Filter machine suggestions

Postby easylife » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:56 pm

EspressoSquirrel wrote:Is nobody a fan of a auto drip machines?

Yup - but we're in a very small minority on here, and considered by some to be lazy for even thinking about them.

I bought a Melitta Aroma Steel Therm for my Mum - http://www.melitta24.de/Produktkatalog/ ... 6508189557 - and it was so good I bought another for myself.

Dead simple to use. Cone sits directly on jug (will also take a swissgold or bodum permanent filter).
Nice chunky thermos type pot.
Very good water distribution.
Brews at the recommended water temperature and speed.
Approved by the European Coffee Brewing Centre - http://www.kaffe.no/?l=31&ls=140&h=353

Sadly, not cheap :( but less than a Technivorm.
BTW - for technivorm in the UK, checkout www.morethancoffee.co.uk
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Filter machine suggestions

Postby Lambo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:09 pm

If you can change a plug, Philips do a whole range of 'em in France but they don't seem to sell them in the UK. The downside of course is the shipping costs
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods