Filter machine suggestions

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Filter machine suggestions

Postby Lambo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 am

Don't shoot me yet! :wink:
I know there aren't many fans of the filter machine on here, but this is a serious question.

I want to buy a filter machine for use in a holiday house that's rented out. Your average person who goes can't be bothered with all that faffing about with FPs or stove-top makers and I'm not going to splash out on an espresso machine or vacuum brewer for somebody else to break.

So, any suggestions please?
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

RE: Filter machine suggestions

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:31 am

Good question and one that I too would be interested to hear thoughts about. There has been some discussion about filter machines in the past and water temperature stability seemed to be the big issue. I know Steve particularly favours one machine, though I can't remember what it is! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby HughF » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 pm

Chemex manual pourover? Needs filter papers but otherwise pretty flexible and simple even if better technique obtains better results. Also cheaper than most auto filter machines I would guess. Mine has replaced french press for use at the weekend.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Jaanus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:56 pm

If going for automatic small sized filter brewers, definitely TechiVorm with their Moccamaster. But as others, i also prefer a siple pour-over. i use Melitta plastic, but had some good coffees from porcelain holders aswell.
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Lambo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:21 pm

Had a quick look at some Technivorm stuff and they seemd to be aimed more at the commercial side of things - 2 litres. I was thinking more of a domestic machine e.g. the Krups FMD3!

Forget quality of coffee produced; ease of use is probably the main criterion (so pour-over is out). Just think of something straightforward that your parents could use! All they want to do is open a packet of pre-ground, pour it in, press the button and wait a couple of minutes for their wonderful real french coffee! :twisted:
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Jaanus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:32 pm

http://www.technivorm.com/pages/products-home.html#
there seems to be a wide array of Technivorms with a capacity of 1,25 liters.
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Lambo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks for the link Jaanus. I didn't have much luck searching on the model numbers on UK sites, so I don't know who distributes them over here.
Hmm, they do look a bit "industrial" - not too sure if SW(Thinks She)MBO would agree...
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby SlowRain » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:03 am

I suggest the Aerobie AeroPress. If you want to make more than three cups at a time, just grind and press another batch. It's great for a regular cup as well as iced coffee, and it makes a concentrate that can be mixed with milk and syrup for a latte. Use it with an inexpensive hand grinder and you're all set. A very convenient, easy to use, easy to clean, portable set up...and it makes great coffee, too.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:59 am

A renter of a holiday house is not going to be happy with an Aeropress and probably won't have any idea how to use it at all. People want to pour water in one side, put grounds on the other side and never mind what comes out aside from it being hot and black.

Since the Krups T8 doesn't seem to be available in the UK I don't think there are any alternatives to the Technivorms if you want a really good filter machine.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dsc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am

Hi guys,

a friend of mine who's a coffeegeeek has a Technivorm, model KBT741. According to him it works well and even has control over the drip mechanism (no drip/slow drip/normal drip).

I think manufactum.co.uk sells it and if not their friends from Germany have a bunch - manufactum.de.

I even convinced my parents to get one for their home:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Lambo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 am

The house is in France (Brittany) - I've just had a look on a couple of French sites and it looks like you can get the T8 in France for about €100...
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:53 pm

I've just seen the best thing ever.
Total over kill for this rental project, but it has to be an Uber, definitely the future!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm

And?????
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Filter machine suggestions

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Lambo wrote:The house is in France (Brittany) - I've just had a look on a couple of French sites and it looks like you can get the T8 in France for about €100...

The T8 is my choice for filter because it provides water at the proper brew temperature and uses minimalist paper filters, is easy to use and easy to clean. Most people prefer using a bit less ground coffee in them because they do extract somewhat more thoroughly than pour-over machines.
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Sorry, thought it had been mentioned more on here already, but a quick search suggests that not everyone has seen one of James' latest toys
This is the Uber.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods