Mountain Water - What a difference

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mountain Water - What a difference

Postby espressomattic » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Took the Whanau camping up to Mt Pirongia this weekend. One thing I was especially looking forward to was using water directly from a local stream to make coffee.

I pre-ground some El Injerto and packed my trusty areopress.

Yesterday morning I collected some water and boiled it up and made a brew. Really big difference. The coffee was noticebly sweeter and softer (If that makes any sense). Really pleasent all round.

Sadly Pirongia isn't snowcapped nor is it glacial water - but plans are in the pipeline :) Now all I need is a 70KM length of hose to connect to my pump and I'll be a happier man!

Has anyone else tried fresh spring/mountain water?
espressomattic

RE: Mountain Water - What a difference

Postby triptogenetica » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:12 am

I had an aeropress made with melted snow this january - it was very nice!
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Re: Mountain Water - What a difference

Postby johnny » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:42 am

espressomattic wrote:Sadly Pirongia isn't snowcapped nor is it glacial water - but plans are in the pipeline

plans are in the pipeline to make it snowcapped and glacial ?

hmmmmm ..... even if you bung god a few £50s to sort that out, he isnt the quickest of workers, it could well take him 2 million years to sort it !
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:58 am

johnny wrote:
espressomattic wrote:Sadly Pirongia isn't snowcapped nor is it glacial water - but plans are in the pipeline

plans are in the pipeline to make it snowcapped and glacial ?

hmmmmm ..... even if you bung god a few £50s to sort that out, he isnt the quickest of workers, it could well take him 2 million years to sort it !

Thankfully I am not an evolutionist, so don't have to worry about waiting 2 million years...oh and he isn't bribable either as far as I am aware ;)
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 am

espressomattic wrote:Thankfully I am not an evolutionist, so don't have to worry about waiting 2 million years...oh and he isn't bribable either as far as I am aware ;)

I don't think even the staunchest of "evolutionists" would attribute geologic changes to evolution.

As to the bribable part, I wonder if anyone has tried Aeropressed El Injerto made with pre-moistened paper filters and fresh mountain water. I've heard it said that everyone has his or her price. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: Mountain Water - What a difference

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:16 pm

It'd certainly buy me ;) :P

Maybe I should have used the phrase 'Big Bang/old Earth' instead of Evolutionist?
espressomattic

Return to Other Brewing Methods