Vacpot filter sock question...

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Vacpot filter sock question...

Postby quoad » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:46 am

I've got a Hario vacpot.

And love it to bts.

But I haven't used it for a few weeks, because the old filter sock is... rather the worse for wear (grit's begun appearing in cups, and it is a rather well-used / well-loved / over-washed filter sock :D) And I haven't quite got round to putting together a replacement.

So.

Firstly.

Anyone know of any UK Hario filter sock sources? I've found US sources, but it's always the same problem - I don't have a credit card (only Maestro / Switch) so can't buy from US sites...

Secondly.

That being the case... Has anyone replaced theirs? I'm thinking dead, cut-up, sewn-on t-shirt might be a viable alternative...?

Thirdly.

BUT I'm really tempted by the idea of a Swiss Gold filter sock. Has anyone tried one / made one? For a vacpot? I'm guessing there'd be issues... like how to attach a punched out / cut out disc of swiss gold filter to the Hario sprung filter disc... And I'm guessing superglue wouldn't be a great idea :D

Erm.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
quoad

RE: Vacpot filter sock question...

Postby Neo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:10 pm

I am using cloth filters and as far as I know you should replace them from time to time.
About the T-shirt idea, well, if you can accept the idea mentally, why not? :D personally i wouldn't do that.
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Re: RE: Vacpot filter sock question...

Postby quoad » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Neo wrote:I am using cloth filters and as far as I know you should replace them from time to time.
About the T-shirt idea, well, if you can accept the idea mentally, why not? :D personally i wouldn't do that.

Arrr....

That would be ideal...

Anyone got any links / sources for cloth filters...?

The only source I can find for Hario-specific socks is in the US...

I'd gladly consider any means of trimming / shaping / sewing / fitting any form of cloth filter, if anyone can point to a good UK supplier!

TY!
quoad

RE: Re: RE: Vacpot filter sock question...

Postby Neo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:30 pm

I dont suggest using flannel cloth for vacpots.
Those socks are actually flannel and there is some fluffy 'fur' on it, which is useful for the specific brewing method(slow down the process) but perhaps not too ideal for vacpots.
iirc, vacpot filter is just cotton. Maybe you can try websites like espressoparts?
cloth for vacpot
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Return to Other Brewing Methods