Help me find a UK spec hottop for sale!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Been away,need update please.

Postby NottmSteve » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:07 pm

Ok, when I last roamed these parts, a hottop was king.

I have the cash to buy a roaster now, but my knowledge is very dated! I'm maybe a year off the pace here!

What's the best out there in the home roast arena, right now?

Cheers
Steve
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

RE: Been away,need update please.

Postby espressomattic » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:46 pm

I think looking around the digital HT is till way up there. There is of course the Behmor that is out too, but most of the reviews are US.
espressomattic

RE: Been away,need update please.

Postby bruceb » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:47 pm

In the meantime I have completed almost 1100 more-or-less successful roasts with the HotTop (digital model, not programmable). If you are satisfied with about 200g of roasted beans per roasting you can't beat it IMO. It is much sturdier than the other popular roaster and is a real radiant heat roaster. If you have any specific questions about it feel free to PM me.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby JulieJayne » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Interesting that you say 200g roasted. For me that is the deal breaker. I want 250g roasted per roast or more. Ideally I want 550g per roast, but there is nothing available to do that.

But NottmSteve, also consider the GeneCafe and the Behmor.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:13 am

I find that roasting more than agout 230g of greens results in too slow of a profile. That results in about 200g of roasted beans per roast. For me that is the major drawback of the HotTop.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 am

bruceb wrote:I find that roasting more than agout 230g of greens results in too slow of a profile. That results in about 200g of roasted beans per roast. For me that is the major drawback of the HotTop.

I do not think this is a constraint on all HotTops. On my HotTop programmable I regularly roast 320 g of greens to second crack in about 16 minutes. It will get there quicker than this if I program it to have the heater on full power continuously. I am lucky in having a very stable 240 volt supply which no doubt helps and with the B or P models you are not stuck with the built in profile of the earlier models.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby johnny » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:34 am

I didnt think the Behmor was available in the UK yet ?? ......
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby motoman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:59 am

Have any of you lot realised that all you need is to be a married man, you automaticly get the finest roaster ever. The best method is to criticise your mother in law and you get a roasting to remember. I know, I cracked in 30 seconds. Open youp mouth and second crack is instantanious.

Be warned, I gave this information to Cakey and he required a new icing graft when he took it too far. Stop while you can lose without too much pain.

I dunno! I am away for a few months and I have to teach you the basics all over again.

Hi guys, I'm Baaaaaack.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:40 am

Welcome back big boy :P. It's all been rather getting out of control in your absence. Even April Fool's Day passed by without one of your corkers ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:50 am

Yes welcome back Motoman. The more lunatics in the asylum the better. :wink: :shock:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby NottmSteve » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Yeah, still hoping for some help with my question.... Abput 2 posts in this became a discussion about roast sizes...

Why can't you get the hottop here anymore (UK)?

From the limited info I take it this is still the best home roaster by consensus?

Cheers
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Hottop ?!

Postby NottmSteve » Mon May 25, 2009 10:03 am

Where are they?

I did suggest I had been away from the scene, and asked in another post what was the current best roaster (UK market). My post has got a bit lost now, and so my question about where can I buy a hottop has not been answered.

What has happened to them? No trace of any for sale in the UK... Anyone explain why?
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

RE: Hottop ?!

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 25, 2009 11:00 am

Not sure Steve, though you are right, it doesn't appear to be available at the moment. Have you tried speaking with the usual stockists?

Linking this with your other thread (it will remain visible at the top of the recently updated list).
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Help me find a UK spec hottop for sale!

Postby NottmSteve » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Ok... currently no UK hottop supplier. Price / contract issues.

Question... is the European model the same bar the plug?

If yes, anyone point me in the direction of a cheap supplier?
If no, anyone know of a uk hottop for sale?

And, before you suggest, buying direct is stupidly expensive!!!! Like 30% more.
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

RE: Help me find a UK spec hottop for sale!

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm

Linking this with the other two Hottop threads as it's really the same question. Again, it will remain at the top of the list. I hope you are able to find one.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques