What happened with coffee along the way?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby syscrusher » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Or drying the cherries and making a tea out of them?
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Olings » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Cascara! Tastes like prune juice...

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 am

Olings wrote:Cascara! Tastes like prune juice...
Ola
I thought it was exactly like dried Longans in the aroma (dry & wet) as well as taste :D My first 'sniff' of it instantly brought me Chinese New Year memories :) :roll:

Fresh longan usually has a translucent-white'ish flesh but dries to a darkish brown with a reddish/orangish hue.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby coffee-dramatist » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:48 am

i usually hear negative comments about the results of making 'tea' with raw beans, but i find it quite fine. sometimes i mix it with ginger.

the "Cascara" i haven't tried yet and am also quite interested to try Gishr.
coffee-dramatist

Postby Joris » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:20 pm

coffee-dramatist wrote:Do you guys never wonder, if using coffee differently would be a hit?
Examples:
cooking water with raw beans, then taking the beans out and using the water for a light soup with onions, garlic or coriander - perhaps with poultry or fish

or

using water cooked with roasted beans and after taking the beans out putting some dark meat and spices inside?

did you never play with such ideas?

I have used coffee as a marinade for a leg of lamb roast... and I've got quite a couple of food recipes with coffee as an ingredient.

If interested I can post them.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby coffee-dramatist » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Hello Beanie,

what do you mean with "chinese new year". I have not idea what that tastes like even though my great great grandfather was chinese :-)

Joris, now we are talking!
that was quite a difficult birth.
I would be interested in your information or recipes if you do not mind. And i am still a bit surprised after having assumed, that extreme coffee people all play around with things outside the coffee drinking area.

i was once more wrong!
coffee-dramatist

Postby Joris » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 pm

It might be better to open a new topic for the cooking-with-coffee recipes, I've got quite a few, especially if I include the cake / muffin / dessert ones. Will start posting recipes later this evening.

edit: I created a thread in the Off Topic section.

Another thing about coffee I heard from a Japanese acquaintance... his mother collected the used coffee grounds, mixed it with fermented pineapple pulp and used that as a scrubbing paste. According to her it cleaned the skin and removed wrinkles... it's just from hearsay so if it's true I dunno.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby zix » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Did you ever think of WHY?
Why is Coffee a drink and not simply a spice? Is it just the result of a cultural path by chance, or is it the only logical way in terms of alchemy?

Hmmm... considering the processing of that poor little bean... it isn't very transparent or logical the way we process it, is it?
But on the other hand, is this because the coffee process really is mysterious and secret - or just because most of us people in the western hemisphere know so little of how food is processed?
Seems many spices are dried, some both dried and roasted, but coffee hasn't been used quite like that. One reason being, of course, that it simply isn't very strong in taste in itself.

Looking at the traditional dry process, basically what they do to the fruit is first to dry it, then to separate the bean from the fruit (hulling). The bean is protected by a leather skin, but I have never heard anything about anyone eating the leather skin. Tastes bad? No taste at all?

Let's not forget kishr, which simply is the drink you make from the coffee fruit itself, not the bean. Kishr is at least as old a drink as coffee is - maybe older?

Only more questions, I am afraid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_processing
Last edited by zix on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby coffee-dramatist » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:12 pm

yes, kishr (or Quishr) is known. Beanie says it tastes like prunes. I have never tried it yet.
Also making wine out of the fruit was used earlier.

I simply think nature puts a challenge on us by giving us products we must compose ourselves, besides the simplicity of an apple, a banana or nuts
coffee-dramatist

Postby coffee-dramatist » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Joris,

i am glad you have mentioned that. Yes, this is another aspect for skin purposes.
If we go outside of drinking and eating we will find quite a few uses for coffee and coffeine.

Quite a little fruit!!!
coffee-dramatist

Postby zix » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 pm

There is the java-log too, of course. Burning coffee on the hearth... I have never tried one, but I like the idea:
http://www.java-log.com/
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods