Coffee in the news

Postby AlanP » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:52 pm

Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby steves » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:33 pm

Ah yes. Depressing indeed:

Fiona McGreggor wrote:UK consumers spent £1.1bn on chilled convenience foods last year, a 14% increase year-on-year

(This in the context of the latest coffee-subsititute to hit the streets.)

What is more heartening is that TMC membership has increased by 19% in the last month :D
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Postby jumper » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:34 pm

A spokeswoman for the British Coffee Association said: "Although the market for roast and ground coffee is developing in this country, it is still the case that 90% of coffee drunk here is instant coffee.

is this true are your people really that savage and for that matter are mine?
how terrible it must be to be british
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:04 am

I reckon some people would go for the microwaveable stuff even if only for the novelty value. I must admit I've had those microwave complete roast dinners during periods of heavy work load.

I've often thought it would be handy to have a voice-activated superauto so you could shout your order to it as you run by then come back a minute later and it's all done.
Ian

Postby AlanP » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:09 am

Ian,they already have them in Starbucks.The 'muppet' standing there pushing a button is just for show.
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Mathias » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:33 pm

Ahhh, that would explain why there aren't any requirements on how to make espresso when they look for baristas......:o

http://www.starbuckscoffee.site-recrute ... e=/job.jsp
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:05 pm

Exellent!
avec leur dynamisme, leur humour et leur goût de la communication, ils conseillent nos clients et veillent à leur apporter une expérience de service inoubliable.

Yeah, I reckon you'd need to have a sense of humour to work there! I'm not sure I would ever ask them for advice, especially on coffee! Street directions, maybe :D
However, I am willing to concede that the last time I went to a SB it was definitely an unforgettable experience.... but probably not in the way they intended :lol:
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby josh_robb » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:18 pm

To be fair (and I know some of you are going to find this hard to belive). When I was in Barcelona between Christmass and New Year I had a single espresso (cafe solo) from Starbucks which was liquid gold. It was easily the best espreso I had while I was there and certanly one of the top 10 in my coffee life. (I also had fresh roasted JBM and Papua espressi which were nice but not like this one cup).

Strange but true. Maybe it was something to do with the alignment of the moon and stars.
"FrankenGaggia" Coffee Deluxe (with Silvia Steamwand)
*$ Barista (Solis 166) Grinder
George Foreman "Baby George Rotisserie" custom Roaster
josh_robb

Postby tisri » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:29 pm

Ian wrote:I've often thought it would be handy to have a voice-activated superauto so you could shout your order to it as you run by then come back a minute later and it's all done.

My bean-to-cup machine is pretty close. In the morning I come downstairs, press the button to make a coffee and by the time I've put my season ticket in my pocket and got my shoes on the machine has prepared me a cup of freshly ground coffee. All I need to do is drink it.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Olings » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:24 pm

...but you still have to hold the mug with your hands. Maybe it's time to buy one of those caps with cup/beer holders on each side and with straws going to your mouth. You could have steamed milk on one side, and espresso on the other, and then you'd just suck on the straw of choice. For a cortado you just suck less on the milk side! How convenient! The cap could be called The Cappacino! It could come with a TMC logo and all! :twisted: For me the process of making it is almost as good as drinking it. (Allthough I see the point of being in a rush.)
Olings

Postby Mathias » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:56 pm

josh_robb wrote:To be fair (and I know some of you are going to find this hard to belive). When I was in Barcelona between Christmass and New Year I had a single espresso (cafe solo) from Starbucks which was liquid gold. It was easily the best espreso I had while I was there and certanly one of the top 10 in my coffee life. (I also had fresh roasted JBM and Papua espressi which were nice but not like this one cup).

Strange but true. Maybe it was something to do with the alignment of the moon and stars.

I thought they always used their own beans and I see a lot of complaints about their rather deep roast. Is it actually possible to pull a good shot with Starbuck beans?
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Return to Off Topic