"favourite" accidents

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

"favourite" accidents

Postby pault » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:08 pm

curious as to what type of coffee-related accidents people have had ...

I came downstairs the other morning bleary eyed and instead of pressing the water flow button I released the steam knob sending a hot spurt onto my arm and straight through the arm of my dressing gown (yes, later in the day I wear a smoking jacket) creating a nice little circular 2nd degree burn --- :shock:

anybody care to swap notes - make me feel better by trumping my idiocy with yours?? Come on, cheer me up - singed eyebrows, lost body parts in grinders???

best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Beanie » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:56 pm

I usually do my milk before I brew. Thinking I'd be super efficient by having a production line, I use 2 portafilters with a double basket in the bottomless and another in the single spout to make my "dopioccinos" (double shot single capp).

So after the 1st drink's done & served, I grind & tamp the 2nd, leave the tamper in it, then steam my next jug of milk. Just after the stretch, the 2nd brew starts, hit timer. But WTF is wrong with it? Ooops, forgot to take out the 1st PF before I started on the 2nd set. Duh!

Before anyone wonders about my 2nd PF cooling, it sits in a pitcher of off-the-boil water while the 1st drink is being prepared :)

Haven't hurt myself yet, TG
M
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby jumper » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:12 pm

i was fixing a brasilia wih a build in grinder and i was leaning on the machine looking at the grinder and my arm slipped pushing my indexfinger straight in the tiny hole the coffee comes out and there is now a part of me always with the coffee
mark
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby zix » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:08 pm

aagh, jumper!
I am boring compared to you. So far I have only managed to pull some shots with the steam mode activated (I have a single boiler), but then I only do 3-5 shots a day, normally.
On the other hand, I have had to change recipe on-the-fly a couple of times lately when making my favourite bakery to go with espressos: meringues. One doesn't feel very intelligent after 4-5 minutes constant whipping in a carefully pre-heated bowl, holding it over a pot with boiling water to get that shiney silky cream, slowly getting that creepy feeling that something just is not right... It's kind of hard to get the consistency needed for good meringues if you forget so separate the yolk from the egg-white before putting the sugar in.:roll: doh!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:22 pm

I managed to burn my eye brows during my first ever chimney stack fire. I learnt a very basic principle that fire and oxygen are not my friend
Steve
Founder Member

Postby RobC » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:52 pm

Now this thread is right up my alley, so to speak. I could create a very tedious and boring novel on all the ways I have injured myself on espresso coffee equipment, without starting on all the other coffee related equipment that I poke around in on a regular basis.

Probably the most stupid (and painful) was many years ago while I was changing the top burrs on a very well used commercial grinder. After unscrewing the top burr fitting from the grinder, I set about the holding screws with a nice big screwdriver. Being on site I had chosen probably the worst way to do this possible, top burr fitting in left hand and screwdriver in right. Whilst exerting pressure on the screwdriver and unscrewing the innevitable slip of the driver ocurred, which sent the driver off the screw through the centre of the burr fitting and into a nice hole it opened in my left hand. I was never too sure whether the staff at the site were more concerned by my expletives or the amount of blood I shed! needless to say lesson learned - a vice is a must for replacing top burrs.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Solid » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:43 pm

This one goes way back.... Way way back. I don't actually remember this. As I was about 18 months old, I grabbed a cup of coffee and (in attempt to drink the stuff) poured it over myself. Fortunetly, the coffee wasn't all fresh so it had cooled down a tad nevertheless, I burned parts of my upper body.
Oh well. The craving for coffee began early...
------------------
Swissmar Alpenröst-->
La Pavoni JOLLY with doser-->
La Pavoni Professional
or
Elektra Micro Casa a Leva-->
Illy espresso cups
Solid

Postby jumper » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:51 pm

well this is a good one too it did not happento me but i saw the pictures
some guy was moving a 10liter container of fresh coffee he tripped and spilled it all over
himself burning/melting the skin off his upper body quit revolting to see.
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby MKSwing » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:07 pm

Several "good" burns with the Pavoni and even one due to the pf sneeze after pouring a shot and not waiting for the pressure release. Incredible how it can litteraly explode.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby tisri » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:27 am

I use a bean-to-cup machine and once came very close to pouring a jug of fresh water into the bean hopper. I'm not sure quite what it would have done, but probably not what I wanted to happen.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby jumper » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:42 pm

use a bean-to-cup machine and once came very close to pouring a jug of fresh water into the bean hopper. I'm not sure quite what it would have done, but probably not what I wanted to happen.

that actually happens a lot and most of the time the grinder needs to be cleaned sometimes the machine will shortcuircut no real harm done 99% of the time
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby mattmills » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Well i nearly blew myself up with my 5 drum probat sample roaster!

It is very old old and gas powered..... whilst playing with the flame i accidently blew it out with coffee still in the drum, so rather than wasting the coffee i tried to re-light the flame by sticking a ignitor through the little peep hole..... then.... whoosh, a huge flame came bursting out...I ended up with singed hair, eye lashes and hairs on my arm....

Absolutly great fun
mattmills

Postby jumper » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:40 pm

i'v seen that flame it was the first thing they warned me about with that machine 4 drums though i think you got lucky
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Return to Off Topic