Chemex Method

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby al_bongo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Got my first Chemex, by post, from a place called The Home, Saltaire, Shipley, W Yorks.

No affiliation here!
al_bongo

Postby HughF » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks for the info al_bongo, very helpful. Their site seems to be all Flash which may be why I couldn't find them while doing a Google UK search for Chemex coffee. Our kitten just broke my Bodum Kona (and I may not be able to replace just the glass) so I'm interested in trying a Chemex. Where did you find the filters please, as The Home seem not to mention if any are included?

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:15 am

there should be a few in there Hugh
Steve
Founder Member

Postby al_bongo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:25 pm

They sell the filters separately. Go for bleached, as everyone seems to recommend.
Last edited by al_bongo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_bongo

Postby kingseven » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:29 pm

I say go for bleached - the unbleached taste super papery.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby lukas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Always always use bleached. Or use both and compare the difference :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby HughF » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Steve wrote:there should be a few in there Hugh

Thanks Steve. Pity HB aren't selling them still...

Thanks also to K7 and al_bongo.

Bodum are "curious" to deal with but finally came up with £11 + £5 P&P for replacement complete Kona units vs. £30 I paid originally for a 34 fl. oz. Kona, seems weird to me, hope I don't wind up with the wrong unit. I have bought an 8-cup Chemex as well though. Filter papers are not on their Web site, but if you phone them they are £5.95 for 100, unbleached only.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby al_bongo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm an idiot! Meant to say BLEACHED!!!!
al_bongo

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Hugh we will be waiting for a new delivery.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zix » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:23 pm

By the way, Lukas, OT but if it is only this week then don't worry, you old scrambler. First gb should be fb too - have fun with your studies!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby HughF » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Hmmm... oh dear, looks as though I've bought the wrong filter papers! I may have been mixed up and really bought the bleached ones, let's hope so.
Any advice on using the unbleached ones then, please? I guess wetting them as per Jim's video will help...

Cheers,

Hugh
HughF

Postby al_bongo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:33 pm

To be fair I've only used the unbleached melitta papers and not tried the unbleached Chemex!

I'd guess with the unbleached ones rinsing is more important. Hope they'll be OK for you.

Guess you could return them if they're still sealed, for a straight swap for bleached or try them out. Find you go through them quite quickly.

Wouldn't want to put you off the Chemex based on the type of filter papers. For me the Chemex is the best compromise of all the brewing methods I've tried.

Sorry for the bum steer.
al_bongo

Postby HughF » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Sorry, talking cobblers there yesterday - the Chemex arrived yesterday, found when I arrived home that it had **white** filter papers. Packaging does not state the type so I'm assuming there are the decent bleached filter papers. I know they only had one type at present though.
There didn't seem to be any free filter papers with the brewer itself - shame.

I'll look forward to trying the Chemex with some Kenya Hiriga Auction Lot 758 this weekend - thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Hugh
HughF

Postby al_bongo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Nice one, white=bleached.
Also good to know that's what they are stocking. I didn't get any papers with the Chemex either if its any consolation.
al_bongo

Postby dsc » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi guys,

I got me a porcelain filter holder and some paper filters on Thursday and I'm still trying to nail the grind. The annoying thing about the drip method is that you can't easily switch between various doses/volumes as you have to alter the grind each time you do that (at least I have to). Tastewise I think it's definitely cleaner than FP and I'm looking forward to trying out other coffees in the near future.

One question I have is do you get mud (fine particles) at the bottom of the paper filter when the extraction is finished?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods