TMC 2

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:16 pm

I too go through the front page, and when TMC2 is going and the new content starts its a good way of keeping in touch with whats new.

I think the only reason its (d)evolved Phil is becuase of the need for TMC 2 so new content can be added. I think there are reasons to be cheerful :)

Keep up the good work.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:28 pm

I have to confess that my bookmark is for the forums - it used to be the front page, but I tend to drop in and click on the "view posts since last visit" and go from there.

Creating content is tricky - I am not massively popular over at CG as my "monthly" column has totalled 1 article in the last 6 months. Ooops. It is just hard to find the time to carefully research and write an article that will be put under immense scrutiny but thousands of people. The blog is a little different - I can edit posts at will, delete them and just use it as a place to think out loud amongst like minds. Very difficult from writing authoritatively on a subject. (I think the crema article had 40,000 reads in a month or something frightening like that - I also ended up getting A LOT of e-mail from people expecting me to answer their every little question or somehow explain some bizarre thing that once happened to their crema. *takes deep breath*.)

Anyway - getting back on topic - I am really looking forward to TMC II. TMC has been very important in my career and I owe it a lot so will continue to do my best to support it.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:26 am

kingseven wrote:I think the crema article had 40,000 reads in a month or something frightening like that - I also ended up getting A LOT of e-mail from people expecting me to answer their every little question or somehow explain some bizarre thing that once happened to their crema. *takes deep breath*.

I can only imagine the nightmare ..... bet you dreaded opening your email for a while after.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:09 pm

They are still coming through!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:55 pm

Alright, I admit, it was me... I said I never check the front page... but to be honest, that's because there was little new there, and my main priority was to get to the forum to make sure that Cakey hadn't burned it down!
Whilst I know how TMC1 evolved, and the general situation that existed when the majority of those articles and reviews were first posted, I think that TMC2 will in many ways be a different beast. A lot of this is due to the members we have here... we have all grown immensely in our experience over the past few years, and hopefull TMC2 will harnass that. Consequently, the front page will gain in importance as it will be used as a central point for the different features that TMC2 will hold and provide.

TMC2 opens up a whole new range of possibilities for us... however, we will be relying on you our members to help it develop and fully make use of the wealth of knowledge and experience we now have. Exciting times.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby phil » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 am

Indeed, exciting times - if you're not working to 2AM most nights making it happen :roll:.

Update: I have held back on the cutover to TMC 2 for another day or so whilst we resolve some technical issues with our new document creation and management software (we're hitting an issue with incorrectly set document expiry dates :()

Hopefully in the next 48 hours, possibly tomorrow.

Nice new avatar btw Dom. Appropriate. :lol:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:32 am

Good luck! Sometimes you just have to hate software ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Olings » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:47 am

Personally I always go through the frontpage, and I think I've read all the articles there at one time or another. Mostly I just go to check what has been posted since the last time I were on.

I agree with Dom that it seems the people of TMC has evolved and that a TMC2 will benefit from this. Personally I'm not sure what to contribute, but I'd write an article if I'd have something useful to share. It also depends on what kind of content Phil and his crew would like to see.

I'm not an expert in the art of coffee in any way, so my input would be of the more personal experience type. Like stupid purchases (or why I need to upgrade), or wonderful coffee-experiences in Oslo and so forth. But if this would be of interest I'd be more than happy to contribute.

Can't wait to see the new TMC! Thanks for all the hard work and the late hours Phil! I think I speak for all of us when I say that it's imensely appreciated.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby Raf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:14 am

The topic "Why I need to upgrade and you need to, too" is a fascinating one, so get writing, young Olings! ;)

Seriously, I think the personal narrative - rather than the overly long, technical fussing of some who shall remain nameless - is what makes a hobby site worthwile.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Phil, I admire your devotion!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby geedee » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Like most casual users (I guested for a long time) I had no idea of the amount of effort put into something like this. I feel worse now I do know as I don't have the cofee knowledge or IT skills to contribute anything, but if knowing how much I appreciate the feedback from my questions, and the information I get from the forums and the articles helps ... then THANKS A MILLION, it is a great relief to realise that my obsession with good things is shared !!
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby zix » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Yes, this is a very good *forum*, with lots of work behind the scenes from all involved in admin roles and site management. Thank you very much to all you great people involved in this for all this time.
I think this could probably become a very good european coffee site. To get there, we will need more writers, and/or more writing from the writers we already have. We also need a greater focus on the articles in some way. Could the "banner style" that CG uses work for us too? For me it works very well, I usually have a quick look whenever I see a new article on the CG front page, but I have no idea what others do.

If you ask me though, the CG forum sucks old rotten eggs when compared to this one, even when comparing thie old version of TMC to CG. I am not talking content here, of course, only user experience when browsing/searching/reading on the forum.
If TMC is in one end and CG is in the other, HB is somewhere midway inbetween them. Having the articles grow out of forum threads is a good idea, but it takes a lot of effort for the writer to keep a thread going at the same time as he writes the article... I know I would feel the pressure if I was doing a review of a machine, for instance, and at the same time being expected to keep the thread vultures fed. Just look at cannonfodders Achille review and the thread behind it - phew, there´s some hard work put into that.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:36 pm

Good points Zix. I too think it is nice when people are able to just write as much or as little as they are comfortable with and there be no pressure in respect of threads.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Yoohoooooooo respect & kudos out to Phil & team. Congratulations!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby phil » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:31 pm

OK this is just the beginning

There's nothing here that's not in TMC 1, and the content menus are less sophisticated just for now.

We have however completed a pretty major technology upgrade, so now we can get on with delivering all of the promised goodies, as well as minor tweaks to the new layout etc as it all beds down.

My most heartfelt thanks to my team of Dom (Gouezeri) and Mark (CakeBoy) without whom I couldn't really have managed all of this. :D
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements