Movie about artisanal coffee production in Nicaragua

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Movie about artisanal coffee production in Nicaragua

Postby phil » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:45 pm

Today I went to a cupping of some new Nicaraguan coffees being imported by D.R. Wakefield, the importers. I was lucky to be invited on the coat-tails of my good friend Steve Leighton of Hasbean. A fascinating experience and some nice coffees. One or two were *really* nice. Oh and I met mattmills, our erstwhile member from Peterborough. Good to meet you Matt!

We were shown a very interesting movie about artisanal coffee production in Nicaragua. Really interesting - worth a look. With Cafenica's permission I have put it into our Downloads section. You can freely download it, take clips from it, take stills from it and redistribute any of these. No restrictions - you have the clearly stated permission of Cafenica to do that if you wish.

Now the bad news.

It's a mpeg file of about 137MB. Even for us lucky people with wide broadband pipes, downloading that off *this* server takes a *while*. You are very strongly recommended to copy it to your local hard drive before playing it (by default, your browser will simply try to play the file immediately - not a good idea in this case I'm afraid).

We normally have bandwidth to burn every month, so offering this should not be a problem. I always keep an eye on our bandwidth utilisation anyway. We have a 10GB per month quota (30GB on the new box) so it's no big deal.

Cheers

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:49 am

For lazy people or those with a slow PC, it's here :
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=3

Thanks for posting it Phil.

Cheers,

Hugh

P.S. I've a bad cold/flu now so espresso this weekend is postponed. Couldn't handle the heat in the kitchen right now... (Thank heavens I managed the live database load at work before it got too bad.) Still, at least I've some (mundane beans or badly home-roasted) Monmouth Kenya (Mututu?) ready for cafetiere use. Pity I'm too stingy to throw away beans that don't work out, e.g. 1Kg 2001 MM Ethiopian Djimmah.
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:39 pm

Indeed phil it was a great day and I think its a good video. Shame about the cold Hugh, hope your feeling better soon
Steve
Founder Member

Re: Movie about artisanal coffee production in Nicaragua

Postby MKSwing » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:00 pm

phil wrote:We were shown a very interesting movie about artisanal coffee production in Nicaragua. Really interesting

Indeed really interesting. Thanks Phil
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby phil » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:22 pm

You're welcome.

I told my friends on the Sweet Maria's list about this and I think it's been really popular with them too - we've chewed through more server bandwidth in the past couple of days than we usually get through in 4 months! We're still within budget but I'm going to move the movie to the new server, linked to from TMC. That server is more responsive anyway, and we get an allowance of 30GB per month on that box rather than 10GB per month on the shared box we're *still* on today (<hangs his head in shame for having done other stuff first> :oops:)

If anyone has any technical issues because of this please let me know.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Return to Site Announcements