Site news

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Site news

Postby phil » Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 pm

Some of the newer members probably won't know this, but there is a site news facility. It used to be on the front page. It's a standard thing with all of these Postnuke sites.

The thing is, since I moved it off the front page, I haven't used it as a communications mechanism with the membership. The last entry is late November 2003. Furthermore, if I was to add to it, who'd notice? It's tucked away off the "FAQ & News" menu at the top of the home page.

Do we want to keep this and maybe find a way to make it work? Or shall we just can it?

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sun May 16, 2004 10:10 pm

Your call phil didnt know about wouldnt use it :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zix » Mon May 17, 2004 9:03 pm

Didn´t know about it, but I like the idea. Putting the last news message somewhere on the first page could be good - provided there is enough things happening on TMC for it to be updated about once a week, and that you have the time for writing it.
zix

Postby alans » Tue May 18, 2004 10:11 am

I liked it while it was there but haven't missed it since it's been gone. I guess it comes down to how easy it is for you to maintain and if the performance issues it caused will return.
alans

Postby Joey » Tue May 18, 2004 12:54 pm

Hmmm. as a member I need the forum, which provides me with the latest news :)
Articles, Reports? I'm interested in articles, which I read once, maybe twice - depends on the theme.

For a guest I think it would be attractive to show we have more to offer - again, more articles, more reports....and news?
For me "news" would mean on an almost daily basis "what's going on in the coffee world" - that's a lot of work . (That applicant from coffee-house.something does that job and wants to contribute something to the forum, doesn't he?)
Would be a nice feature and makes TMC be more like an online newspaper... later, when it's grown up, it can have a newsletter, too..... but then we will need advertising because the work has to be paid............................................................................just my 2 cents
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby phil » Tue May 18, 2004 1:36 pm

I didn't mean that kind of news Joey. I said "Site News" i.e. news about the site.

Alan - no performance issues, don't know what you mean. The reason it moved was simply lack of screen real estate.

I think I'm getting an idea about how to do this. Since I'm not really using the front page for this I can use Content Express as I do for the articles, and the problem of identifying the latest news articles is the same one as for identifying the most recent articles.

OK, enough. Thanks everyone.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Return to Site Announcements