Progress with the site

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Progress with the site

Postby phil » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:35 pm

Hi guys

Just an f y i to keep you up to date.

OK, as you probably realise, I found a work-around for the problem with the javascript menu and I'll be implementing a new site menu in the next 2 - 3 days. This menu will replace the Coffee Reviews menu, the centre "Our Articles" menu and probably some of the left block menu too.

Also, I'm thinking of dropping the "Welcome to TMC" block in favour of the new menu, but I'm open to comments of course.

I've managed to tidy up the theme rendering in Internet Explorer. During the process of debugging the menu problem I found absolutely shedloads of bugs in the theme code. The process of fixing them "broke" the rendering of part of the theme header, but only in Internet Explorer. Mozilla got it right. I worked out how it should look on paper and the last remark was justified. Anyway, to fix the problem in an expedient fashion I've temporarily removed the "Search" function from the site header. It was about as much use as a chocolate teapot anyway as I'd not implemented the changes required to integrate it with ContentExpress, where all (what little there is of it) of our content resides. I'll put it back later when it seems necessary and I figure out how it was breaking the layout rendering.

So the next steps are to put in the new menu and then sort out the server migration so that when you come to TMC you will actually be able to get a response at all times. :D

Longer term I want to design a custom "look and feel" (theme) for the site, but that's a much lower priority.

In between all of this of course I'll be publishing the outstanding content from the queue of stuff I've got waiting (sorry Chris! :oops:). If you've sent something for me to publish, either directly or by posting it into the forum as an expedient, please will you remind me so that I don't overlook anything?

OK, I think that's all for now! Phew!

See you all around soon I hope.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:49 pm

I'm sure everyone will agree but a big thank you phil for all your work. It takes a lot of work to get a site like this looking and working as slick as it is so thank you!
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:11 am

You're welcome. It's fun most of the time. :?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:56 am

Yes yes yes...thank you for your effort! I'm sorry I haven't been able to participate much lately, but we've had a few family issues to deal with (I haven't even had the time to look for any green...). Hopefully, things will smooth out soon.
DrZeus

Postby alans » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:26 am

Good work Phil, I noticed the difference immediatly this morning!

John, sad to hear it, I was wondering why you hadn't commented on the Presso and thought somehthing must be up.
alans

Postby phil » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:31 am

Yes John, sorry to hear about your trouble. We'd missed you, but totally understand that some tings come before coffee and the internet!

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Return to Site Announcements