Ongoing availability issues

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ongoing availability issues

Postby phil » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:56 pm

Two things.
  1. I'm really sorry about the ongoing performance issues, with the site regularly being either slow or simply unavailable. Apparently there is some unreconstructed so-and-so on the same physical server as us who keeps hogging all of the server power, and Host Europe are only telling him off rather than kicking him into touch (which IMO they should be doing!).
  2. The hosting server has also been causing me problems with site management and upgrades. I've been working on things like new colour schemes and (more importantly) better menus, but the old versions of software (especially PHP) have caused me difficulties. One author basically said to me "well it's that old version of PHP that's causing the trouble, so until you fix it I can't help you!" Since we're on a shared server I can't fix it, and Host Europe won't fix it for the time being because we're just one customer among thousands.

I've had enough, and so I've just organised us a new server all to ourselves. It won't be ready until some time in the New Year though, so in the mean time I'm going to have to ask you all to bear with me. When it's finished we'll be able to run pretty much whatever we want, and never mind Host Europe!

One of the side effects of this is that I've had to take away one of the alternative domains that we have in order to access the new server. From today, "toomuchcoffee.co.uk" will resolve to the new test server. The other domains "toomuchcoffee.com","toomuchcoffee.org", "toomuchcoffee.net" and "toomuchcoffee.eu.com" will continue to point to the current shared hosting account.

Thank you all for your patience and Merry Christmas to you all.

Phil
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:06 pm

Damn, Phil, you're so efficient!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:30 pm

I didn't notice any performance issues this week. Last week was quite bad though.

Phil is ahead of the game again!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby gruff » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:11 pm

Good work Phil. As a newbie I have to say the site looks good, and seems to perform pretty well at present.
gruff

Postby michel » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:13 pm

Your so kind Phil... building this cyberspace home for coffee-lovers like myselve... while defending it like a lion and making it work like a fox...
Thanks!
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:41 pm

while defending it like a lion and making it work like a fox...

That hit the nail right on the head, Michel!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Return to Site Announcements