Message to Joey

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Message to Joey

Postby phil » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:55 pm

Hi Joey

I'm still getting error messages from your email address. Are you receiving the emails I send please.

Everyone else - sorry for using the forum for this purpose.

Phil
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:24 pm

Yes! Sorry I had no time to answer before.
We have several computers (home & office) and one of them I haven't used for more than a week now. Therefore that account got stuffed with emails and produced that error. In real I saw all mails on the other ones. But the problem is solver din the meantime- thanks for reminding me.
Greetings
Joey
(who hopes she will soon have some time to write some chapters for the forum, as announced in another topic ;-)
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby phil » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:08 pm

Thanks Joey.

who hopes she will soon have some time to write some chapters for the forum

That would be really good. Perhaps you could write something about your experiences setting up your new place. That would be very valuable content and interesting for everybody.

Not to stop you from writing about anything else you've thought of, of course.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:11 pm

okeydokey. it's on my list already ;-)
joey
Joey

Postby phil » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:38 pm

Oh, and pictures are especially welcome.

Phil
phil
Founder Member

Disassembling a doser grinder...

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:25 am

Hi Phil!
I have not had the nerve to write down my long path of preparing to open a coffee shop yet, but because it's quick (and hopefully useful) I'll write down my experience about disassembling a grinder-doser for cleaning properly. (which can be tricky if the spring jumps out :wink: )
I think I don't know some vocabularies, so I hope I don't leave you with too much lecturing :-)

So here it comes:
I got a La San Marco grinder (which has Mazzer blades inside) in ebay for 75 €. It was used in a sport club and VERY dirty. Unfortunaly I forgot to take a picture from the clotty burr-blades. The coffee was agglutinated and covered the 3 metal-thingies who are positioned around the blades to sweep the ground coffee out into the doser...
So after removing the funnel, I unscrewed the huge metal ring with the scale on it. On the bottom side of it you will find the upper burr-blade. That's easy to clean. Watch the slits around it - you might find some fossilized coffee in it.

Hint 1: When you take out the lower burr - mark one of the 3 thingies/leading-knifes (?) AND the 2 burr edges/jags parallel to it with a water resistant pen!!!! When cleaning it, take care not to scrub the marks off!!! If you don't position the burr at the exact position again - the two burrs will "bite each other" when the grinder is reassembled and you adjust a finer grind....

Next - take off the doser. You can't imagine how much coffee you will find in there...!
For the LSM I used several allen wrenches and one phillips-tip-screwdriver.
Start with taking off the little part that stops the grind electrically, on top of the doser. Then comes the transparent plastic part. Before you can take that off, unscrew the handle in the middle of the doser - a huge spring will pop out - but it's selfexplanatory how this has to be fit in again.
As the electric-stopper part is soldered on and I didn't wanna open that, I couldn't get it off the transparent plastic, so I just let it hang in there. In the picture you can see it on top, still connected with the grey cable.

After removing all that is easily screwed off - you will see the following picture:
Attachments
SLMgrinder_dirty.jpg
SLMgrinder_dirty.jpg (98.88 KiB) Viewed 13989 times
Last edited by Joey on Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:33 am

ok, part 2:

1) After cleaning everything you might not remember the position of that double-ended spring that belongs in the middle of the doser bottom (yellow line)
2) And the portion-handle should be in the farest possible clockwise position (blue)
3) And the counter-knife parallel to the spring end (green)

to be continued...
Attachments
Federstellung.jpg
Federstellung.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 13988 times
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:42 am

part 3:

There is a spike that has to be pushed back and get locked in place by the mainbody of the doser-handle.
If you don't put it in this retracted, clamped position. the spike will lie stretched and loose under the handle.
(yellow cyrcle)

Attachments
Stifterl.jpg
Stifterl.jpg (73.42 KiB) Viewed 13987 times
Last edited by Joey on Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joey

disassembling a doser grinder

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:55 am

part 4:
As there is nothing to hold that little spring in position while putting the black plastic lid on top of that doser part again, hold it against the lid instead - there is a nipple to hold - press it against it (yellow arrow)

But it gets worse:
The grip you see in the picture - you have to hold that lid from the other side! the side you see now will be "inside"-looking down.
Therefore you use the whole in the lid to poke your left hand forefinger through it, holding the spring from the outside (one end pressed against that nipple)
While positioning the lid on the doserbottom again - you also have to hold the doser handle in that farest clockwise position (use your remaining pinky from the left hand to hold it, too)...
...and you have to watch out that the spike remains locked and the counter knife stays in position, too (therefore is your right hand) :shock:

Now this was the trickiest part. It might sound weired, but once you see it - you'll know what I mean :lol:
Attachments
Federstellung-2.jpg
Federstellung-2.jpg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 13986 times
Last edited by Joey on Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joey

disassembling a doser grinder

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:07 am

Congratulations, if you manage to put all parts in their place again, it should look like on the picture below.

Now I was asking myself - "Is it really necessary to explain how to disassemble a grinder? Who does that?"

I hope lots of you do it depending on how often you use yours. All I can say is - what I saw in that grinder - phew, I'm happy I didn't drink the coffee that guy offered me when I picked that baby up.
So please, don't only clean your espresso machines, take care of your grinders, too.

And don't try to clean the burrs with rice!!! Did that once and got my fuse to blow. Rice is harder then coffee, and my "demoka" just gave up. I was lucky that it was only the fuse...

Another hint pops up in my mind when I think about the "fuse-replacing" story:
When you have the espresso machine and the grinder standing next to each other in the kittchen, you open the grinder to change the fuse, and you are so clever to pull the plug before for security reasons.... be sure you pull the right plug! :?

Mine were both black...what can I say...trrrrzzzzrzzzrzrrrz***!!!!!220V!!! :twisted:
Attachments
LSMgrinder_clean.jpg
LSMgrinder_clean.jpg (82.82 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
Joey

Postby alans » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:56 am

That doser looks very nice even if it is a bit difficult to disassemble! Reminds me what a cheap piece of plastic my Pavoni JDL doser is. Interesting what you were saying about rice, I'm a recent convert to cleaning with rice and am curious what the others in the group do so I've started a Poll in the Other Brewing Methods forum.
alans

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:19 am

Hi Alan!
ABOUT THE RICE: ... it works with yours? Even Günter, my roaster told me not to use it. Have a look at my post at CG once, at least the link I put there is worth it. And Jim Schulman says something about wheat, too... :wink:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... ines/20100

See ya there :arrow:
Joey

Hi Phil!
I thought as some of this forum are interested in the Mazzer Mini - which has a doser, too, and the burrs inside are the same (i guess the technique +) it might be of interest to write that down. It took me some extra minutes to figure out how to assemble that bottom parts again. Next time I will be quicker 8)
Please, if you have no use for it here, this feel free to delete or just not use it - I won't be mad or something... :cry: (just kidding :P )

Joey
Joey

Return to Site Announcements