Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Recognise these two suspects? Beer!

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:10 am

Very off topic and very Rutland Weekend Television! Love it :P

Click Here at your own risk :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: Recognise these two suspects? Beer!

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Ahhh yes I apologise on behalf of Roland for this
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Ahhh beer. Miss a proper Ale down this way. Plently of good beers around, but nothing that is quite the same. Have brewed a few decent ones at home, including ciders with apples from my own tree. Had some left over apples so I recently juiced them, mixed it with an old tin of light liquid malt which was lightly hopped. I have no idea what it will be like.

Best effort was a Best Bitter. 100% Fuggles Hops. Didn't last long though
espressomattic

Postby Tongle » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:54 am

http://www.realaletrail.net/

My nephew has invited me on the Beer Train today. Apparently we get on at Stalybridge at 11.00 and the idea is we get off at each stop for a beer until we reach Batley (love that name).

Heaven help me! Eeeek :shock:
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Tongle wrote:http://www.realaletrail.net/

My nephew has invited me on the Beer Train today. Apparently we get on at Stalybridge at 11.00 and the idea is we get off at each stop for a beer until we reach Batley (love that name).

Heaven help me! Eeeek :shock:

Sounds wonderful. We'll be awaiting a full report...on whatever you can still remember. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Tongle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:53 pm

In the end we decided to go to Halifax and work our way back.

Two lovely pubs in walking distance of Halifax train station. Ring of bells to the right and 3 Pigeons to the left. Both brillantly traditional pubs serving good real ale. The latter a 1930s art deco affair with original features and some of the nicest pies I've ever tasted.

Next stop Hebden Bridge. Nice bar at the station itself. Todmorden was a Wetherspoons pub so time to eat (not very nice actually, beer ok but not the food). Littleborough.....avoid at all costs - had high hopes of a pint of Wainwright but very badly kept pint, didn't drink it.

Finally back to the Shay Wake in Shaw where we started.
This was all public transport but amazing how many people knew about the idea of the beer train, I never knew it was a 'thing'.

Also, nice to spread the drinking out over about 10 hours, I don't usually have more than 3 on a night out but managed 10 yesterday and feel absolutely fine, thougha bit tired today.

A great idea, you should all see if there's similar in your area.

It was a lot of fun and really interesting. I'll post the beer list later. Thank godness the train had a toilet though.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Tongle wrote:Thank godness the train had a toilet though.

:mrgreen:

Sounds like a good way to spend a day.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby RolandGlew » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:00 am

Sounds like a great time was had :)

The beer trains in my to do list - Gary, who's the other Roaster at Has Bean, is from Halifax and has been trying to organise us to do the full trip, starting at Manchester and progressing to Leeds. You're post has just reminded him, so I think we'll be booking it in before too long ;)
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Postby Tongle » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Definately need to visit Three Pigeons and Ring of Bells in Halifax.
Too many to name in Manchester and Whitelocks in Leeds is a must if you can find it.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Return to Off Topic