Cigars moulded! *}:-( #grrr!>zzz<%$$$!!Aaargh...

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cigars moulded! *}:-( #grrr!>zzz<%$$$!!Aaargh...

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:59 pm

:evil: Can't believe it! In the wall-humidor that a gastronomer gave me as THE best humidor ever... the cigars where molden when I opened it yesterday. :x :x :x
I have been reading in the internet that a humidor should not be sealed to tight so that air can circulate - the humidity comes from the sponge anyway... I was a little suspicious when I got mine with rubbergaskets all around the door - but as that guy said "it's the best, I have this kind since 3 years now..." I gave it a try.
Well, 6 weeks later, half the Cigars were luckily sold (75 pieces I have had, 25 each of Cohiba, Monte Christo, Partagas) this happens.
There is just one more thing that might have made it my mistake: I did not take distilled water....but I put some Remy Martin in it for a better Aroma. Alkohol should preserve the water, shouldn't it? :drink:
Anyway - also that the sponge didn't dry out for 5 weeks made me a bit suspicious - isn't that a sign for "to much sealed"?

Can someone tell me how to prevent this the next time?
Do I have to desinfect the humidor now - are spores still in the wood and could infect the next cigars? :shock:

Thanks
Joey :cry:
PS.: BTW, some of you recommended me the Punch Punch... I was in a Bar last week with a girlfriend (girls night out), and the two men beside us wanted to invite us with something - so I ordered the PP instead of a cocktail :D which costs the same anyway - found it to be rather mild, but good. Thanks for the recommendation. I might add it when I know how I don't ruin it again... :wink:
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Raf » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:55 pm

Hmm, I can't help you with that, Joey. Bad news, anyway. I take it you mean the green sort of spots that appear on the cigars? I've seen it brushed off, maybe it's all normal (although I prefer my own cigars non-mouldy thank you ;)). Isn't there a toomuchcigars.com around where you can ask? 8)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:24 pm

Spores are extremly long lasting and nearly indestructible. Some woods, like oak, "repel" spores because of their natural content of gerbsäure better than others. One usually cleans anything containing mould in the kitchen with vinegar (the most effective way) to be on the safe side. I dont think that would improve the cigars and without it you cant be sure to be free of spores. So take the humidor and hit the vendor on the head with it. Give it back.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby matts » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:31 pm

Raf wrote:I take it you mean the green sort of spots that appear on the cigars? I've seen it brushed off, maybe it's all normal

I think you're thinking of 'bloom' Raf, the kind of whitish dusty almost spots which appear and are part of the good ageing of the tobacco, something to do with oils in the leaf I think. Different from mould :( what a bummer

Matt

PS: (girl who smokes cigars AND owns a coffee shop....how cool is that, do you like football as well Joey? :wink: )
matts

Postby Joey » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:40 am

matts wrote:...do you like football as well Joey? :wink: )

Well, I have no idea about the rules, but I sure like watching these congregations of muscles run... :lol:
joey

PS...witish dusty spots...'ll have to look at them again - there may be hope...

here are pics....
Attachments
ziggi-mold1.jpg
ziggi-mold1.jpg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
ziggi-mold2.jpg
ziggi-mold2.jpg (138.95 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
Joey

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:43 am

Hmm, I don't know what that is, but it doesn't look too good....
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby matts » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:21 pm

joey wrote:- there may be hope...here are pics....

Ummm, nope :( That's green and furry rather than white and dusty.

What a sad sad waste.... :cry:

Matt
matts

Postby Joey » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:56 am

Nope - there still is hope! :D

I found that wonderful site http://www.humidorbau.de/shop/index.html where I could get my initial know how about storage. Now I dared asking Mr. Marc André for advise and a very helping email exchange started.

He said to 99% this doesn't look like mold, because mold would not be removable like this dusty thingies... mold would be growing on/in the leafes and appear partial, not all over.

So this is rather "blooming" of the cigars, it's proteins and starch, a decomposition product of late-fermentation, often happening to cigars with a high "ligero"(?) content.
It can be wiped of with a soft brush and I shoul try to get the humidity down to 70% or less and let them rest in "sick-leave" for about 2 months - or even better, and here comes that great customer service although I am not even a customer yet - I can send them to him and he will care for them for the next 2 months... like in a cigar - hospital. Isn't that great?
It only costs me the mail fee.
I will send him one of my luxury chocolate cigars, he, he

So to all of you cigar lovers, some of you are able to read german, visit the site - it's great and easy to read with humor....

After reading it I feel eager to make a humidor out of my balinese closet... that would be a nice big humidor in the shop ;-)

Joey
Joey

Postby matts » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:54 am

joey wrote: he will care for them for the next 2 months... like in a cigar - hospital

Oh that is magic. :D The cigar hospital. Yay! I never saw that much bloom before....

Matt
'ambulance to the cigar hospital please'
matts

Postby michel » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:40 pm

Mold vs Bloom:

http://home.alltel.net/jbperry/cig.htm

I'm really happy for you Joey that its just bloom... :D

BTW the inside of your humidor doesn't seem to be made/layerd with spanish cedar... or is my computerscreen off colour again???

cheers,
Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Return to Off Topic