The new Pope...........................

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The new Pope...........................

Postby motoman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Jorge Mario Bergoglio was not the Cardinals' first choice to be the new pope, and to become Pope Francis. Their first choice was, interestingly, Cardinal Hans Grapje.

Grapje was raised in a Catholic school in The Hague and, as a young man, aspired to become a priest, but was drafted into the Army during WWII and spent two years co-piloting bombers until his aircraft was shot down in 1943 and he lost his left arm. Captain Grapje spent the rest of the war as a chaplain, giving spiritual aid to soldiers, both Allied and enemy.

After the war, he became a priest, serving as a missionary in Africa, piloting his own plane (in spite of his handicap) to villages across the continent. In 1997, Father Grapje was serving in Zimbabwe when an explosion in a silver mine caused a cave-in. Archbishop Grapje went down into the mine to administer last rights to those too severely injured to move. Another shaft collapsed, and he was buried for three days, suffering multiple injuries, including the loss of his right eye. The high silver content in the mine's air gave him purpura, a life-long condition characterized by purplish skin blotches.

Although Cardinal Grapje devoted his life to the service of God as a scholar, mentor, and holy man, church leaders felt that he should never ascend to the Papacy. They felt that the Church would never accept a one-eyed, one-armed, flying purple Papal leader.....
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: The new Pope...........................

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:55 pm

You should be ashamed.

You are clearly destined for The Great Big Burning Fire and a good thing too.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Re: RE: The new Pope...........................

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:23 am

GeorgeW wrote:You should be ashamed.

Thank you George. It seems that you are the only person brave enough to make any comment on this story. :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 am

GreenBean wrote:

Thank you George. It seems that you are the only person brave enough to make any comment on this story. :?

Oh dear, someone please lend me a shovel and I will proceed on my downward journey to my well deserved destiny.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:49 pm

motoman wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Oh dear, someone please lend me a shovel and I will proceed on my downward journey to my well deserved destiny.
Attachments
Bagger.jpg
Perhaps more appropriate
Bagger.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 10047 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:12 am

bruceb wrote:
motoman wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Perhaps more appropriate

Don't do it Pete.:? I have no way to be certain about this but I expect there are plenty of reasons for a good belly laugh down there already. Up here, however, we are in desperate need of your talents. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Off Topic