Back from my Sabbatical

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Back from my Sabbatical

Postby RobC » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:31 am

Many apologies for my extended absence (checking my posts about two years lol) I didn't actually go anywhere, just extended work load (as my boss decided to go off judging random contests), arrival of a Mini Me (whom is annoyingly an exact Mini Me - I never realised I had so many annoying habits) and an extended iDevice habit (I'm weaning myself off it, down to touching it once an hour - using Siri over bluetooth doesn't count) and an obscure password problem with the forum (could never remember it - found lastpass.com which has solved all my password woes).

I was sorry to see posts on my favourite coffee forum are a little sparce nowadays, although it's reassuring to see old friends are still active and posting - good to see the old skool hardcore are still keeping the the forum alive.

Anyway, reply to this thread if you remember me, want to hear more of my innane ramblings - or indeed would rather not and of course update me on the latest gossip - I did manage to read about 3 pages of old thread before the forum kicked me and now thinks I have read them all.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

RE: Back from my Sabbatical

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 am

Badger, badger, badger, badger .......... snaaaaaaaaake :P Great to see you though a bit scary that a baby has been born with a full beard ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Aadje » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Good to hear from you!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Welcome back! Have you been drinking any particularly interesting coffees recently? :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Or beers/whiskeys/whiskys/wines/ports for that matter?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby RobC » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Good to hear you are still going strong Cakey, took me a while to catch on what you meant but how could I forget

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

Slightly concerned you know about my bushy beard, you haven't got covert surveillance on me have you. Mini me is happily beard free, although he did grab hold of either side of my jowels last week and hang off my beard - which was the indication it really needed a trim!

Aadje - thanks for the call back, how's things - I notice you mention Linux in your sig, how's that going.

Bruce B - crikey, not doing things by halves are you - 3 CMA machines and is that a roaster in your Avatar? I'm quite into Yemen Mocca Matari at the moment, dark roasted and brewed in a french press - some floral notes, little bit woody but it has a sort of spicy kick which mostly covers that.
But wow Bruce B - you win the long running member stakes - April 04!

Think I saw around 184 hits on this thread, just 3 replies? Maybe not so many people are happy to see me back :roll:
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:28 pm

There's a thread about my roaster somewhere, ermmmmm here, plus a full description and teardown on my website here (under Coffee > Roasting). I generally roast about 5 kg/month for family and friends. I've got some new CoEs that I'm looking forward to trying soon.

As to the small number of replies to this thread, look at how many members are logged in and you'll see that almost all of them have posted here. It's great to have you back. The mocca matari sounds interesting. I've got another Yemen (can't remember the name) and it is also quite a head turner in the AeroPress. Not suitable for espresso, however.

I am embarrassed to say that I have a few other machines that I haven't even listed in my profile. :oops: I have a gorgeous Olympia Cremina lever machine in the shop with all of the new gaskets and parts and even a beautiful hand-machined brass bottomless portafilter and I haven't gotten around to reassembling it. :roll:

Please keep on posting. You're bringing life back into the forum! Thanks.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Back from my Sabbatical

Postby RobC » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Aadje wrote:Or beers/whiskeys/whiskys/wines/ports for that matter?

Harsh but fair :wink: I did spend some time on theAA.com and now have expert knowledge on checking tire pressures, oil and fluids levels.
RobC

RE: Re: RE: Back from my Sabbatical

Postby lukas » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:06 am

Welcome back! I have very fond memories of a Matari Mocca that I used for competition once that Walter roasted for me. It was heaven!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby geedee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:13 am

Rob
It's is nice to see your posts. The Wega Mini Nova I bought off you, and the badger which arrived in my garden for the first time in the same week are both going strong. Congratulations for the baby.
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby GreenBean » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:04 pm

RobC wrote:...Think I saw around 184 hits on this thread, just 3 replies? Maybe not so many people are happy to see me back :roll:.

Hi Rob, on the contrary, it is great to see you around here :D. I expect it is just that many of the regulars have been busy with other things recently. Many congratulations on the baby

RobC wrote:...Bruce B - crikey, not doing things by halves are you - 3 CMA machines and is that a roaster in your Avatar? I'm quite into Yemen Mocca Matari at the moment, dark roasted and brewed in a french press - some floral notes, little bit woody but it has a sort of spicy kick which mostly covers that.
But wow Bruce B - you win the long running member stakes - April 04!

Is that April 1804 or 1904? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 pm

GreenBean wrote:Is that April 1804 or 1904? :wink:

bruceb

Postby RobC » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Again nice to hear back from old friends,

Lukas I've been very impressed with you big roasting endeavours commercially, great to hear from you again.

Geedee - I'm pleased to hear the mini nova is going well, they are very reliable and I don't see many back, prices went ballistic in the past few years due to pound v euro.

Greenbean - it's good to hear from people I remember well, of course not everyone will log in every day so replies will be slow.

Bruce b - I had noticed it's definately quieter on here then it used to be, still a lot of long standing members posting but not so many new - maybe the registration process of e-mailing a username and location puts them off.
RobC

Postby Aadje » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:42 am

Nice to see so money replying!

Things are fine, I graduated and found a job. I took some time to assemble the Speedster, but now I am enjoying its coffee.

Linux is working great now. I stuck with Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric and Gnome 3.2 and in combination with Virtual box - for people who insist getting word-files - this is a great solution. I just love the Gnome 3 user interface.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby lukas » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks Rob, much appreciated. There's not much atm to be impressed of, we don't even have the roastery yet. It's all quite draining on the energy front, but I really really look forward to the moment of igniting the flame beneath the roaster :)

/me is also a fan of the new Gnome!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Next

Return to Off Topic