Espresso machine at last!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Espresso machine at last!

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Well I now have my little Giotto and I couldn't be happier.
Already had it apart, descaled and reduced the boiler pressure to 1.1 bar.
Had to block up one of the two holes in the steam wand to get texture in the milk. Think I will get a single hole tip!
I really amazed just how much the shots can vary, it will take time getting it all sorted and coordinated.
There really in so much to it! :shock: :lol:
orrinoconnor

Re: Espresso machine at last!

Postby GreenBean » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:30 pm

orrinoconnor wrote:Well I now have my little Giotto and I couldn't be happier.
Had to block up one of the two holes in the steam wand to get texture in the milk. Think I will get a single hole tip!
I really amazed just how much the shots can vary, it will take time getting it all sorted and coordinated.

Great news Ray. :D You certainly didn't waste any time on the descale. As for the varying shots have you got a naked portafilter? It helps a lot in identifying any distribution problems.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Espresso machine at last!

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Congratulations, Ray!
You can always use the Giotto to steam some water and add inst*nt if it's too much bother. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Espresso machine at last!

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 pm

bruceb wrote:Congratulations, Ray!
You can always use the Giotto to steam some water and add inst*nt if it's too much bother. Image

Bruce I have a jar of the supermarkets finest instant in the cupboard just in case they find my offerings to bitter, sour or slow.
I think I am going to have to reduce the pump pressure a little, irrespective of how fine I grind or hard I tamp, the best I can get is about 60mls in about 12 seconds.
I am reluctant to it without a manometer but I am not going to wait until I get one,, I'll wing it to get closer to 25-30 secs. If my multimeter is accurate I am getting steady 91-92C in a comfortable time to grind and tamp.
The real plus at the moment is the smell of coffee each time I come into the house. :lol:
orrinoconnor

Re: RE: Espresso machine at last!

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:39 pm

orrinoconnor wrote:
bruceb wrote:Congratulations, Ray!

Bruce I have a jar of the supermarkets finest instant in the cupboard just in case they find my offerings to bitter, sour or slow.
I think I am going to have to reduce the pump pressure a little, irrespective of how fine I grind or hard I tamp, the best I can get is about 60mls in about 12 seconds.
I am reluctant to it without a manometer but I am not going to wait until I get one,, I'll wing it to get closer to 25-30 secs. If my multimeter is accurate I am getting steady 91-92C in a comfortable time to grind and tamp.
The real plus at the moment is the smell of coffee each time I come into the house. :lol:

No, no, no! It's not the pump pressure. You will have to grind finer. No matter how high the pump pressure is you must be able to choke the machine by grinding very fine.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: Espresso machine at last!

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 pm

GreenBean wrote:
orrinoconnor wrote:Well I now have my little Giotto and I couldn't be happier.

Great news Ray. :D You certainly didn't waste any time on the descale. As for the varying shots have you got a naked portafilter? It helps a lot in identifying any distribution problems.

GB. I am sorry now I didn't just order one right off when I got the descaler and purlycaf from Scott, I was trying to prioratise my spending.
This roast worked out quite well with the 1/2Lb, Thanks! It's amazing how quick it goes. I will have to do another tonight as I am getting low. I got a 1/2Lb of beans in M&S on Monday just to practice with,,,, Oh god,,, It was nasty after the Machacamarca.
I need another coffee! :lol:
orrinoconnor

RE: Re: Espresso machine at last!

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Congrats Ray! Happy pouring!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Viernes » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 pm

I don't believe you. Where are the pics? :roll:
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:38 pm

oton wrote:I don't believe you. Where are the pics? :roll:
Attachments
Espresso Powder.jpg
If it's pics you want, Pics you shall have!
Espresso Powder.jpg (19.69 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 pm

No wonder it only takes 12 seconds for a shot! :shock:
bruceb

Postby CrimsonScythe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Last week a guy at work claimed instant coffee was by far the best coffee he had tasted. He wasn't even joking... :(
CrimsonScythe

Postby Viernes » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey, with that you can "pull" the most famous special coffee in Greece. The wonderful Café Frappé! :lol:
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby Aadje » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 am

Those brownies look delightful . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Baked them myself!
orrinoconnor

Postby lsjms » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 pm

irrespective of how fine I grind or hard I tamp, the best I can get is about 60mls in about 12 seconds

With a Super jolly? +1 everything Bruce said. Is the 'stop screw' thing in the right place? Have you found true zero?

Naked PF's do not help with 12 second shots.
It was nasty after the Machacamarca

Ha ha, wait till you get a 20-30sec shot, I'm not so sure you'll be wanting the robusta or the m&s
lsjms

Next

Return to Off Topic