The truly intelligent machine has arrived!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The truly intelligent machine has arrived!

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 am

I am stunned, truly stunned, by a phone call I have just had with a machine. Alan Turing would, I am sure, agree that this comes as close as makes no difference to passing his "Turing Test" for an intelligent machine.

I have recently ordered a new Macbook Pro from Apple. I wanted to track delivery (from China) this morning and found that Apples website was down so I could not get the tracking no. I thought I would phone Apple to see if they could give me the tracking no. I was connected immediately to a machine with a pleasant female voice. I, like most people, have had terrible experiences of communicating with machines with endless options and button presses. :twisted: Well this time it was different.

The following is a transcript of the conversation. I promise you this is the truth.

Hello, please talk to me as if I was a real person and I will do my best to help you. Please tell me what I can do for you.

I have recently ordered a macbook from you and would like to track it's delivery.

OK Sir, please give me your order no.

I read it out.

Thank you, for security reasons could you also give me your post code.

I read it out.

Thank you Mr. GreenBean. You parcel left Shanghai on 28 February and was last tracked with a departure scan in Warsaw. The parcel is due for delivery by Friday 4th March. Can I help you with anything else?

I would like to know the tracking No.

Of course Sir, you carrier is UPS, I will read your tracking no. slowly twice so you can write it down and then check it is correct. She read it out twice. Can I help you with anything else Sir.

I was so shocked and stunned, and it all seemed so much like a conversation with a real person, that I found myself thanking the machine :oops: No, that is all I need, thank you very much for your excellent service.

It will not be long now before the machines take over, you heard it here first. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: The truly intelligent machine has arrived!

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:54 am

I noticed right away that you said "She" read it out twice. :lol:

Actually, though, why not machines that talk and act like people. Most people talk and act like machines, too. If you leave out sentimentality we generally act, think and feel quite mechanically.

At the same time it is good to ask the question, "Who designed and built the machine?" If it was Darth Vader's troops then one might be hesitant, but most likely it was some clever dudes in Hong Kong or Shanghai, so why worry? :lol: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby geedee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:57 am

:idea: Phone 'it' back and ask if 'it' likes cats .... OK! so I have a one track mind
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Re: RE: The truly intelligent machine has arrived!

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:05 am

bruceb wrote:I noticed right away that you said "She" read it out twice. :lol: ......

After talking to her you could be in no doubt that she was a she and definitely not an it.

geedee wrote::idea: Phone 'it' back and {CENSORED} . OK! so I have a one track mind

I have phoned her back and asked her on a date. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 am

That sounds very impressive. The opposite to the antipathy felt with the automated 'electronic person' online help from a UK mobile phone operator a while back (conversation not verbatim because it was some time ago, but content accurate):

{Usual electronic grettings}

How may I help you?

Can I tether using this mobile phone contract? {details already ascertained}

I'm sorry but I did not understand your question. Please explain more clearly.

Can I tether?

I am sorry, I am learning all the time but I did not recognise your question. Please rephrase it.

Tethering. Is it allowed?

How can I, it's only four words?

I'm sorry, I do not recognise the question.

Can I 'speak' to a human in this chat please?

I am sorry, I am learning all the time but I did not recognise your question. Please rephrase it.

Tethering?

I am sorry, I do not have an answer to your question. I hope I was able to deal with your query. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

You haven't helped me yet!

What is the point of you? You are useless.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I am trying my best. Please rephrase the question and I'll try again.

Never mind. I'm off to do something more constructive, like microwave my head on full power for ten minutes.

Never mind, really.

I hope I was able to deal with your query. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

No. Actually hold on. Are you doing anything tonight?

You do know that I am just a machine don't you {no, really, the programmers actually had this one covered}

You clearly haven't met my girlfriend have you?

I am sorry, I do not have an answer to your question. I hope I was able to deal with your query. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

No. Thank you and I love you.

Thank you for contacting us. Goodbye.

Edit: Cross posted with GB's 2nd post et al above. Spooky! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 pm

What does tethering mean (in the above context)?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Thank you for that story Cakey. I needed a good laugh. You eloquently describe the experience we have come to expect from these systems. :D We should insist that directors of any company with such a system use it every day. They would soon realise just how bad they usually are. :twisted:

bruceb wrote:What does tethering mean (in the above context)?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering

Discussing tethering is an excellent way to test if you are communicating with a human (who would obviously know what this means) or a machine. :wink: :D
Last edited by GreenBean on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBean

Postby geedee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Bruce, Blow the definitions, I am more concerned that two of our members, one a senior moderator and the other a well respected member have romantic fantasies about machines. It makes you wonder what their definition of a 'naked' portafilter is.
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm

geedee wrote:Bruce, Blow the definitions, I am more concerned that two of our members, one a senior moderator and the other a well respected member have romantic fantasies about machines. It makes you wonder what their definition of a 'naked' portafilter is.

I know who the moderator you refer to is and I admit that I have such fantasies but who is the well respected member with romantic fantasies about machines? :D

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Sorry, I should have noted that I come from the same factory as that automaton mentioned above. :oops:
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: The truly intelligent machine has arrived!

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Not sure about senior. Decrepid more readily describes my plight :roll:

Edit: Spelling.
Last edited by CakeBoy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: The truly intelligent machine has arrived!

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Not sure about senior. Decrepid more redily describes my plight :roll:

I'm sure you were not making a barbed jab at me. Image
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:30 pm

bruceb wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering
Discussing tethering is an excellent way to test if you are communicating with a human (who would obviously know what this means) or a machine. :wink: :D

Sorry, I should have noted that I come from the same factory as that automaton mentioned above. :oops:

Well I would never have guessed Bruce. 8) :D

GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:44 pm

bruceb wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Not sure about senior. Decrepid more redily describes my plight :roll:

Who is Barb? :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:55 pm

CakeBoy wrote:
bruceb wrote:

Who is Barb? :shock:

C'mon Cakes, don't pretend you don't remember Barbarella the Autowench. You remember, the one with BIG diodes. :wink: :wink:
bruceb

Next

Return to Off Topic