Questionably Nuts!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Questionably Nuts!

Postby orrinoconnor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 pm

I think the average person might question my sanity at the moment. (some things will never change I suppose)
My last purchase was a Supper Jolly,,, it's great!
Today I will be ordering a Behmor and 10kg of beans.
This is where the strange bit comes; I have nothing to extract the goodness from the beans yet.
Actually at this point I am thinking that I don't like anything that I can afford in coffee machines,,,, as matter of fact I tend towards the thought they are all so compromised, that I should be buying something to modify.
Put in a second boiler with a better designed large heat exchanger and control it with a PID.
I know this will sound quite reasonable to many of the engineering and technical types around TMC.
The scary bit is, my current bout of madness can do without encouragement!
orrinoconnor

RE: Questionably Nuts!

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 pm

This isn't a question of sanity as much as a question of aim. If you just want a good espresso machine buy one that is recommended in the archives here. As usual I would suggest a new or used commercial machine because I think big, heavy brass parts make better coffee than computers or clever double-boiler arrangements.

If, on the other hand you want to build a machine because you can, you have an idea of how to do it and/or you're a tinkerer/engineer, go for it. You probably won't save money and might not even wind up with something as good as a machine you could have bought, but if you like that sort of thing you will get a great deal of personal satisfaction and enjoyment out of it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 pm

It's for all those reasons Bruce that I feel pulled in this direction.
With the adaptation of a big commercial machine I think I can undo the compromises that (in my eyes) are made.
I will still have all the big heavy mass of metal maintained to temp
Hopefully in the end I will have a very temperature selectable and temperature stable machine with constant steam. There will be less compromise with power limitations, so it can heat quickly, the boilers and pipework can be well insulated, so it can be left on without excessive waste
I just have to find the right machine that will allow room for the "modification plans".
I realise it will work out to be much more costly than just going out and buying something; building audio bits has taught me this.
I will probably wonder why I ever started when I'm half way through.
I will also have the satisfaction of knowing I did it and will have a understanding of how my machine functions!
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:27 pm

It's probably best to start with a machine that is simple by design, i.e. without a lot of fancy bells and whistles. La Cimbali, CMA, San Marco, Vibiemme build or have built so-called "semi-automatic" machines that meet the above criteria. Most have plenty of room for additional electronics. If space is tight you can always remove the internal rotary pump and put it behind and below the machine, out of the way, making plenty of room inside the box. To make life simple make sure the machine can be used on 240VAC single phase unless you have 3-phase wiring available (which would be, of course desirable, but not essential). These machines will be plumbed in so water and drains will be necessary. These are all things to consider before spending your cash. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 pm

bruceb wrote:These are all things to consider before spending your cash. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

Cash,,, I spent all that today with Steve on the bean's from Bolivia that you all had great appreciation for,, let's hope I like them, I spent more on the beans than I did on the roaster. :shock:
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 am

orrinoconnor wrote:Cash,,, I spent all that today with Steve on the bean's from Bolivia that you all had great appreciation for,, let's hope I like them, I spent more on the beans than I did on the roaster. :shock:

You bought Steve :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

CakeBoy wrote:
orrinoconnor wrote:Cash,,, I spent all that today with Steve on the bean's from Bolivia that you all had great appreciation for,, let's hope I like them, I spent more on the beans than I did on the roaster. :shock:

You bought Steve :shock:

Good God,,,, I hope not!
To the best of my knowledge I ordered many Kg of the Machacamarca beans and a Behmor, that hopefully will not cremate them!
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Oh, don't cremate him. In case the beans come packed in a hideous football shirt they're not beans. :shock:
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:56 pm

bruceb wrote:Oh, don't cremate him. In case the beans come packed in a hideous football shirt they're not beans. :shock:

Yes he seems to have quite a collection of football shirts, most more hideous than others,,,, perhaps they don't have understated or tasteful in that region!
Maybe we could get a thread going on donating nice used clothing to Stafford!
Perhaps we could include pictures of items we would like to donate; just the items we think he would look presentable in.
I'm sure Cakey, Motoman and Greenbean would be happy to contribute to the effort!
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:09 pm

My contribution, just so George doesn't get them. :P
Attachments
leather shorts.jpg
leather shorts.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 11641 times
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:30 pm

"Lederhosen" with a bit of style!
orrinoconnor

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:11 pm

What about this; he seems to like colour?
Attachments
2904848635354040_1.jpg
2904848635354040_1.jpg (6.01 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Naaaaaaaaaah, too tasteful for the old boy.
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:04 am

Bruce this would go nicely with your offering, but, I can only find the left one!
Attachments
St.jpg
St.jpg (4.19 KiB) Viewed 11576 times
orrinoconnor

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:44 am

Today I am concerned about my favourite coffee and am thinking that a hair shirt may be appropriate for our friend Steve. I think it will go quite well with the other items you have selected for him. :D
Attachments
hairshirt.jpg
hairshirt.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 11521 times

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Next

Return to Off Topic