seville oranges and why I love my Pallo

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

seville oranges and why I love my Pallo

Postby motoman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

For any of you newer members, wondering why many of us love out Pallo head cleaning brush more than our very expensive kit. Here is another reason why:
I have just finished three days of marmalade making, one whole years supply tucked away in the cave. It takes ages to make, first boiling the oranges until soft, cooling them, cutting in half to scoop out the flesh. Separate the pips tp boil in a muslin bag to extract the pectin as you spend hours cutting the skins into strips. pile the lot back in the maslin pans to heat up then add the sugar and bring to the boil, a hard rolling boil. It requires this to convert the marmalade to a thick wonderfully flavoured treat that no shop bought conserve can come close to.

Unfortunately it spits boiling drops as you stir to prevent it burning and the pain of the drops hitting you hand is not a lot of fun. We have all suffered the pain of cleaning the E61 head with the supplied brush until Mrs Pallo's little boy invented the brush that takes away the pain. Statues should be erected to this man (and his mum). Forget that Probat and nuclear powered gyroscopic grinder, get a Pallo, find peace without pain.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:29 pm

You make a good point and they do save you from boiling water on the fingers but I find the bristles too stiff to do a good job of cleaning.

I prefer to continue to burn my fingers to achieve a clean head. Well, actually, I just wrap an elastic band around the handle of my cheap brush to provide a drip path away from my fingers. :P

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 pm

GreenBean wrote:I prefer to continue to burn my fingers to achieve a clean head. Well, actually, I just wrap an elastic band around the handle of my cheap brush to provide a drip path away from my fingers. :P

I hate the way my mind works sometimes :shock: :oops:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:25 pm

CakeBoy wrote:
GreenBean wrote:I prefer to continue to burn my fingers to achieve a clean head. Well, actually, I just wrap an elastic band around the handle of my cheap brush to provide a drip path away from my fingers. :P

I hate the way my mind works sometimes :shock: :oops:

Now that you point it out! :shock:
orrinoconnor

Postby DrTom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:00 pm

I love this place :)
DrTom

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:36 pm

All and all, we are quite civilised :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Aadje wrote:All and all, we are quite civilised :)

Speak for yourself.:D Some of us do unspeakable things with brushes and elastic bands whilst others have minds that can not get out of the gutter. :? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

CakeBoy wrote:
GreenBean wrote:I hate the way my mind works sometimes :shock: :oops:

Just be glad it still works! Mine has been on workman's compensation for years. :oops:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am

Mine only works semi-properly for half an hour a day randomly somewhere between noon and half past two :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Off Topic