ice-cream in London

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 pm

The coagulation temperature of whole beaten eggs is 68°C.
Egg white coagulates at 60-62°C and egg yolk at 65-68°C.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby davidbondy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:18 pm

I could only recommend two:

Marine Ices in Chalk Farm and
DeMarco's in Chapel Street in Islington

Both Italian, both brilliant!

David
davidbondy

Postby motoman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 am

bruceb wrote:The coagulation temperature of whole beaten eggs is 68°C.

I'm not argueing your figures Bruce, it is the temperature that beaten eggs in milk, vanilla and sugar start to cook and turn into egg custard that I quoted. Between 82 - 85C the mixture has to be stirred continually for about 3 minutes until it starts to thicken then cooled rapidly. It is very easy to go over the top but it is equally easy to correct by blending the resulting really tasty scrambled egg and starting again.

I have found that by using the whole egg, the resulting mixture is lighter and my tight fisted nature is appeased. I buy the Dextrose in bulk on line from My Protein body building supplies. It is much cheaper than Guar and does the job just as well. I use Vanilla Mart for my beans. I also add a couple of tablespoons of Skimmed Milk Powder to the milk before heating it up. This gives a creamier result and less fresh cream is needed. As long as the balance of fats and sugars is observed the mixture is as smooth as cakeys....

I wait until the mixture is almost ready to leave the ice cream machine before I add the alcohol soaked fruit then give it a few more minutes to incorporate and freeze down. If the fruit goes in too soon it may all sink to the bottom of the machine and the dasher (paddle) will simply push it aroud as a lump at the bottom of the machine. Try soaking raisins in rum for a week then add 100 grams of 85% dark chocolate to the hot milk. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeesh.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:41 am

motoman wrote:
bruceb wrote:The coagulation temperature of whole beaten eggs is 68°C.

I'm not argueing your figures Bruce...

I only presented those figures because of this quote, above:

"and in hestons view, be it right or wrong, he states that eggs start to coagulate at 82 degrees. 2
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Heston is right mate, keeping it a between 82 - 85C max is difficult, which is why a bain-marie is the best idea. Its a bit like caramalising sugar, get it right and you have lovely golden caramel, let it go a few degrees over and you have a 999 call to make. Do both right and you have yet another ice cream flavour you cannot buy in the shops...... Must try that with Drambuie
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby motoman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Am soaking chopped up Xmas pudding in brandy so that it will not freeze solid. Guess what flavour I am making tonight?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Previous

Return to Off Topic