ice-cream in London

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

ice-cream in London

Postby dsc » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:58 am

Hi guys,

a friend of mine is coming over for a visit and from what I've heard she likes ice-cream, so I was thinking about taking her to London to get something nice. Any ideas where to go?

I found this the other day:

http://www.timeout.com/london/restauran ... /7754.html

but I'm taking it all with a grain of salt, you know how TOL can be sometimes.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Bombcup » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:05 pm

That list certainly gives you plenty to go on, The only one I've tried is Freggo which is excellent and just off Regent Street if you're doing a bit of sightseeing.

I'm sure that if the William Curley ice-cream comes even close to the quality his chocolate then it will be a winner. Beautiful part of town too.
Bombcup

Postby MW_SW19 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:04 pm

If your willing to go a bit further out these guys are very good http://www.gelateriadanieli.com/gelater ... tores.html

I have been to the one in Richmond and it was very tasty
MW_SW19

Postby Skippy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I can vouch for Morelli's in harrods, the ice cream was amazing in there
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby motoman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:41 am

Come to Bridgnorth Skippy and I will make the ice cream of your dreams.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Kaz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:44 pm

I had a delicious ice cream in Scoop in Brewer Street. You can sit indoors if the weather's cold. If you go there you could also first go to Flat White in Berwick Street and then it's a short walk to Scoop in Brewer Street (or vice versa). Soho's a fascinating area to explore anyway.
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Postby Tristan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Chin Chin labs in Camden (liquid nitrogen ice cream parlour) is great.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby motoman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:57 pm

My two latest creations are Dark Rum and Raisin Chocolate Ice Cream and a successful experiment with Ginger soaking in Whisky. Am now looking for a supply of dried sour cherries to infuse with brandy and dries raspberries with Vodka.

Further suggestions can earn you a taste if it works andyou are passing.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby geedee » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:49 pm

motoman wrote:Further suggestions can earn you a taste if it works andyou are passing.

And if it doesn't work? :?
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby motoman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 pm

geedee wrote:
motoman wrote:Further suggestions can earn you a taste if it works and you are passing.

And if it doesn't work? :?

Pass
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby geedee » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby daveyb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Just seen this thread and it seems a couple of other ice cream makets exist!
Heres my favourite Vanilla recipe.bit nerdy but worth the effort

Very slowly, heat 300 mls of whole milk, 45 gms condensed milk, about 3gms xantham and guar gum, vanilla (Whatever sort you want. I either use quality paste of pods) to exactly 92degrees. Leave to cool and if using a podm leave it in until you pour the milk on.
Then mix 3 decent sized fresh egg yolks with 85 gms unrefined golden caster sugar in a food mixer for about 15 mins whilst the milk cools down.
Making sure the milk is as cool as possible (I use an ice bath to drop it right down just before mixing with the egg/sugar) slowly pour onto the mix, beating.
Then back onto the heat (I put the pan onto the smallest of the gas rings) and using a liquid food thermometer, slowly bring it up to 65 degrees but no more. It should be thickening now (put a wooden spoon in and if you can draw a line or part the mix cleanly its ready). Eggs coagulate apparently @ 72 degrees so they become much stronger to taste. ASt 65 degrees pour into a dish in an ice bath but continue to stir as it cools down. Once cooled, lightly which 300 mls of whipping cream and fold into the custard before chiiling in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then its into your machine to paddle.
Works every time for me!

Does anyone have any thoughts on making ice cream and raw eggs? Any egg substitute etc?
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby motoman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Several American sites have ice cream recipes with raw egg but as I use free range eggs I like to cook them first. Just Google ice cream recipes. Most recipes stipulate egg yolks but I use the whole egg and use my Bamix mixer to turn it into a light pale yellow mix.

http://www.makeicecream.com/recformakice1.html

Davey;I have loaned my ice cream book to my son but I am sure that the egg, sugar, milk should be heated up to 85C. I use my Fluke gun thermometer rather that a food one. I get instant reading and can keep the mixture between 82 - 85 degrees for the three minutes it takes to make the egg custard. It is safer to use a ban marie but I like to live life on the edge. Take it past 85C and you get sweet scrambled egg, this can be recovered by whizzing it up in a food processor.

I found a great supply of vanilla beans on the net and have enough to last a couple of years. I split and scrape a vanilla pod into the milk and leave it to cool while the flavour is absorbed. I now have a jar filled with sugar and used vanilla pods to make vanilla sugar.

I also use a 50/50 mix of sugar and dextrose to get a softer ice cream, adding my dried fruit in alcohol makes it even better
Cherries in Kirsch is fantastic
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby daveyb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks Motroman,
I tried to make noites whilst watching an old Heston dvd called Kitchen Chemistry, then started making ice cream without the notes and of course you are right about heating the milk etc to 85.
Doc Wilson is the American guru
http://www.burlytwine.com/Doc/Doc_wilson.html
but all his recipes call for raw eggs. I use only the best ingredients as well (or so I think!)
Have you seen this link for Vanilla
http://www.vanillamart.co.uk/categories ... 4QoddT_1Ug
even though it sounds like you have plenty. I make alot of cakes so have a good quality food mixer. The dextrose thing sounds good as well but putting the 2 gums in helps with softness and stops the formation of larger ice crystals, not that I keep mine for more than 2 or 3 days. I am new to this so have not started to experiment much yet. If you pm me your email addy I will upload a good recipe book and send you the link. It ahs good sauces in it. I can also send the kitchen Chemistry link if you have not seen it..
At what stage do you add the alcoholic fruit? Presumably as the ice cream maker is churning?
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby daveyb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:32 pm

I rechecked my notes and watched the dvd again, and in hestons view, be it right or wrong, he states that eggs start to co-agulate at 82 degrees. This is the reason that so much ice cream and custard tastes too strongly of 'egg' when eating out. He suggests that if science says that coagulation begins at 82, then why go anywhere near that as that is not the point at which it is cooked enough to kill bacteria and thick enough o coat the spoon.
it all sounds a little confusing to me. I have followed his technique so far (and thats only 5 times!) and am fairly pleased with the results. I will try taking the custard mix up to 82 to 85 for 3 mins next time and see what happens. I have terrible tast buds anyway.....LOL
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Next

Return to Off Topic