New Book?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New Book?

Postby MW_SW19 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Has anyone looked at/read http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1592535631/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
and if so is it any good?

I am a bit loathe to order it with out either seeing it first or getting a review that I can trust.
MW_SW19

RE: New Book?

Postby GeoffsCigars » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:49 am

Not seen the book, other than on the Amazon site, but you may care to take a look at the author's website: http://www.coffeecompanion.com/ccstories.html

That should enlighten you as to whether he'll have anything of relevance to say in his book. I couldn't possibly comment (though I suspect searching this forum may produce a lot more relevance!)
GeoffsCigars

Postby davidbondy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:09 am

I pre-ordered it on spec from Amazon some months in advance of publication. I think that if you were a total beginner then you would find it interesting and informative. However, if you've got as far as this forum then you probably don't need it.

The author's website may give the wrong impression. The book is far better than that!

My advice ... order it from your library. They usually have a budget to buy books not in their stock.

If you want to pay postage both ways, I'd be willing to lend you my copy subject of course, to the usual conventions on these things.

David
davidbondy

Postby GeoffsCigars » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 am

davidbondy wrote:The author's website may give the wrong impression. The book is far better than that!
David

Glad to hear that, because I succumbed and have a copy on order (building up a little library of my own on coffee books).
GeoffsCigars

Postby GeoffsCigars » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Book arrived today, and it's interesting enough, but I haven't found much new in it. Absolutely great for a newcomer, though, covering all the basics, including different methods of brewing, home roasting etc. Probably the best book I've come across for a newcomer.

Strangely, since it arrived my wife hasn't had her nose out of it, and appears to be reading it cover to cover at break-neck speed. Up to now she's only ever taken a very marginal interest, other than being a discerning customer of the various brews that I have presented her with. It would seem that within a couple of hours she may well have assimilated a level of knowledge that it took me months, or even years, to acquire in the pre-internet days!
GeoffsCigars

Return to Off Topic