A reassuring experience

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A reassuring experience

Postby bruceb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:10 am

Our little village has a "partner borough" in Italy. Rosora is a "comune" of about 1800 inhabitants located in the Marche region about 40 km west of Ancona. Recently, 40 residents of Rosora came by bus for a 4 day visit to our town. Most of them had been here before and many of us here have visited them in their village in the past. We had a wonderful time with them and in spite of the obvious language difficulties we got along fabulously and enjoyed ourselves a great deal.

Karin and I were hosts to a family and I served them a fresh roasted SO of Mexico Maragogype. I had been tempted to blend in 15% of a top quality robusta, but decided to just go with the SO. I can say that they were fairly stunned to get coffee in Germany that they liked better than the coffee they get at home. There is a very nice café in Rosora and I know the barista quite well. I like his coffee very much, but our guests said the coffee I served them was superior. What can I say?

In addition, Karin and I, with help from friends, cooked a 3-course dinner for 70 guests (Italian and German). We made various finger foods, slow-roasted lamb shoulder (recipe from Jamie Oliver), oven-baked potatoes, curry rice and various desserts and it was a huge success. It was a lot of work, of course, but having such overwhelmingly positive feedback made it well worthwhile.

It is interesting to see people from a small village learning to share their lives with similar people of a completely different culture. If you ever have a chance to partake in this kind of event I would heartily recommend doing so.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: A reassuring experience

Postby Jem_Bean » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Seems a shame i wasn't in Germany at the time!

That's a really great idea, and i love the concept of bringing small groups from different cultures together.

I've done a little research of my own and discovered that Peterborough is twinned with 5 European towns (!) - Bourges in France, Viersen in Germany, Alcal de Henares in Spain, Forl in Italy and Vinnitsa in the Ukraine. Now that would be one hell of a party!

P.S. no joy on bringing coffee back from Mauritius I'm afraid. There is indeed a small farm in Chamarel, but most of the coffee drunk in Mauritius seems to be imported (certainly the stuff in the hotel we were staying in). There was some retail coffee on sale in the local shops, but it was all either flavoured (vanilla, caramel etc.) or hideously out of date. :cry:

J
Jem_Bean

RE: A reassuring experience

Postby motoman » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Like many of you, in my younger days (mainly in the army) I travelled all over the world. I found that in spite of seemingly different cultural outlooks we all had the same ambitions, hopes and dreams. A safe home for our family, a decent income and good friends.

Sadly now, being an idle bugger, I would have to walk to the towns edge to see who we are twinned with in Bridgnorth.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: RE: A reassuring experience

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:08 pm

motoman wrote:I would have to walk to the towns edge to see who we are twinned with in Bridgnorth.

Sounds like a plan! 8) :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: A reassuring experience

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Sounds like a movie "To the edge of Bridgnorth and back".
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: A reassuring experience

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:19 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Sounds like a movie "To the edge of Bridgnorth and back".

If you managed to escape to the edge.... why would you go back? :? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby GeoffsCigars » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Hey! Nothing wrong with Bridgnorth - visited it for the first time last week and loved the place. The cliff lift is magic. Just wish we'd found decent coffee there!
GeoffsCigars

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A reassuring experience

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:42 pm

My sister lives near there. Reason enough to stick to the edge ..... ;) :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:56 pm

GeoffsCigars wrote:

Hey! Nothing wrong with Bridgnorth - visited it for the first time last week and loved the place. The cliff lift is magic. Just wish we'd found decent coffee there!

Why do you think I started to roast my own?

I have never used the cliff railway to get to High Town, next time walk up the Cartway and give your heart a treat. Not you Cakey, I'll bake you a treat and pay for the lift.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A reassuring experience

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:59 am

I need lifts at my age ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Return to Off Topic