helping us - RANT

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

helping us - RANT

Postby Jasonscheltus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:24 am

...to help them...

i guess it's a systemic problem, but I can't help to think why virtually no journalist can write a half decent article containing the words "coffee" or "espresso". (The obvious and lonely exception is Oliver Strand).

At least in the UK you only get mis-quoted, mis-spelled and sometimes just misunderstood.

According to journalists here in Australia, there are only two reasons to drink coffee - because it's trendy, or because you need a hit in the morning to wake up (hint change your f**king diet).

Why can there be mainstream press articles about a new vineyard, different planting of an existing variety, movements of enologists etc. and all we get in coffee-world is articles about "those wacky baristas with their science experiment looking coffee brewer is the next hot thing" or something else being the next hot thing.

Is the truth that there are no good stories in coffee? Or is it just that we don't write good press releases? Of the HUNDREDS of coffee blogs I read, surely there's one and an easy story in them for a half-bored journalist?

Please?
Jasonscheltus

RE: helping us - RANT

Postby Jasonscheltus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:26 am

yes BTW all you budding journalists just got TOLD.
Jasonscheltus

Re: helping us - RANT

Postby JulieJayne » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Jasonscheltus wrote:.... and all we get in coffee-world is articles about "those wacky baristas with their science experiment looking coffee brewer is the next hot thing" or something else being the next hot thing.
I don't think many of us here would disagree with you Jason, but... perhaps the constant emphasis from the SCAE etc on World Barista Competitions, makes it seem to the tired old journalists, that the only thing to write about in the coffee world is, the latest wacky barista drink, with asparagus and toffee!!!

I have been trying to get the SCAE amongst others to pay more attention to actually setting and then improving standards of "ordinary" coffee. But until now it seems like I am the only one.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Return to Off Topic