Masterchef - or not

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 am

I don't know what Fat Duck is, but certainly there are few if any fine restaurants in northern Europe that serve even half-way decent coffee.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

re

Postby dsc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:15 am

Hi Bruce,

it's Heston's (Blumenthal, the guy that had a show on Discovery and cooks based on science mostly) place:

http://www.thefatduck.co.uk/

3 Michelin stars and Nespresso. I guess coffee isn't food right?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby Hugo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 am

I also understand that Nathan Outlaw, who at one stage was britains youngest michelin starred chef at the Black Pig in Rock, Cornwall, also used Nespresso. I don't know if that's still the case but a few of my regulars eat at the St. Enodoc Hotel where he now 'is' the F&B department and tell me his coffee's shite. Funnily enough, Dave Jones (UKBC semifinalist) worked there until recently.

Mr Outlaw has been in Relish a few times but I've never had the guts to ask him about it, we tend to talk about bacon... Mind you he's always drank latte so I can't help but feel he doesn't 'get it' the way we'd like all restauranteurs to 'get it'.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

RE: re

Postby bruceb » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Coffee may not be food, but it's an important part of most people's dining experience in the UK, the rest of Europe, the States and many other parts of the world. Getting served bad coffee in a fine restaurant is no different than getting served a bad wine. I once worked in a hotel kitchen and overheard the main chef say he couldn't be bothered and couldn't care less if they served coffee or not. I think that kind of arrogance and ignorance is very common in this branch and since customers almost never complain about it there is little chance of the situation improving.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Previous

Return to Off Topic