Chaff & Unwanted Beans

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Chaff & Unwanted Beans

Postby Beanie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:15 am

What to do? http://upcyclenw.com/

Look at this and that too :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

RE: Chaff & Unwanted Beans

Postby bruceb » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:45 am

I'm just wondering if chaff is really not a health hazard for chickens. I don't know any details and this may just be silly, but I've been told a number of times (for instance, by the manufacturer of my own roaster and by a Probat rep) that one should not regularly let chaff touch the skin, that it is allergenic, etc. This doesn't mean it's poisonous or really dangerous, but that it's a good idea to avoid unnecessary contact with it. I've also heard that breathing the inherent chaff dust is also not healthy. But then, commercial roasters must know about this or all be getting very sick and I haven't noticed anything like that happening, so perhaps this is all just a bunch of chicken droppings. :?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Chaff & Unwanted Beans

Postby lsjms » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:36 am

Have I really just read a suggestion to use roasted beans as path gravel?
lsjms

Re: RE: Chaff & Unwanted Beans

Postby GreenBean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:14 am

lsjms wrote:Have I really just read a suggestion to use roasted beans as path gravel?

Sounds like the perfect use for OBJ to me. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:54 am

GreenBean wrote:
lsjms wrote:Have I really just read a suggestion to use roasted beans as path gravel?

You risk gettin' your feet dirty, of course.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:35 am

bruceb wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

You risk gettin' your feet dirty, of course.

True, I hadn't thought of that. :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Chaff & Unwanted Beans

Postby Jem_Bean » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:09 pm

Never heard of health issues associated with chaff, although we are looking into getting hold of a chaff compressor to turn fluffy airy chaff into rock hard logs - perfect for a winter's day in front of the fire...

J
Jem_Bean

Return to Off Topic