CQI Q-Grader Course

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

CQI Q-Grader Course

Postby Jem_Bean » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to put a quick post up to let you all know about the course that i attended last week - the Coffee Quality Institute's 'Q-Grader' program.

First of all, let me say this course was utterly, undeniably awesome. I turned up on the first day and immediately realised i was decidedly short on experience in comparison to the other guys and girls on the course. However, as the week progressed the training involved gave me a good confidence boost and i left a highly caffeinated new man.

The week was put on in Toynbee Hall on Commercial Street just up from Spitalfields Market and was hosted by Jo, Matt and John from Twin Trading who did an excellent job of looking after us.

The course is a training and examination on coffee grading for speciality coffee and was put together by the CQI based on the SCAA classification system. The main focus of the course was sensory perception (triangluations, cupping scoring, olfactory etc.), with a little less on the processes of green bean grading than i would have liked but very good none the less.

The course isn't cheap (looking like a cost of over £1000 per head next year) but worth every penny. Pass the final exams (three intense days!) and you will get a professional 'Q-Grader' or 'Star Cupper' qualification, as well as a dainty little 'Q' logo to put on the bottom of all your emails!

The course is VERY hard work and technically pretty difficult, but the knowledge imparted by our trainer (Craig from Atlas in Seattle) was second to none. Massive thanks to him and Adam for helping us survive.

In case i haven't put the message across - GET ON THIS COURSE! If you have anything to do with speciality coffee in any commercial sense this is an excellent course and i heartily recommend it to anyone.

If you want any more info on the course let me know, or go to the CQI website.

J
Jem_Bean

Return to Off Topic