Problems with gas (on my espresso machine)

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Problems with gas (on my espresso machine)

Postby RobLockyear » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi guys,

I recently began running a mobile espresso cart in London and due to some local politics have lost my electricity supply. My Brasilia Majore is also gas powered but regardless of how many adjustments I make I can't get a strong blue flame - only a sooty yellow one. Does anyone know what might be going wrong? Airflow and gas flow rates have been adjusted already. My machine supplier has not been able to help which is very useful!
RobLockyear

RE: Problems with gas (on my espresso machine)

Postby bruceb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:54 pm

It sounds like your machine is set up for natural gas rather than butane/propane. You will need to get a different set of jets from Brasilia. Write them directly about the problem.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Problems with gas (on my espresso machine)

Postby RobLockyear » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks Bruce. The machine is advertised as LPG powered but I will definitely drop them a line.
RobLockyear

Re: RE: Problems with gas (on my espresso machine)

Postby bruceb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:32 pm

RobLockyear wrote:Thanks Bruce. The machine is advertised as LPG powered but I will definitely drop them a line.

Rob, as strange as it sounds, LPG is not always LPG. Throughout the world "bottled gas" varies in consistency and in burning properties. In addition to propane and butane it may contain isobutanes, propenes, isobutenes and butenes.

I bought a Miele cooking hob for the kitchen and it came set up for natural gas, but had a set of LPG jets that worked terribly. I called Miele and told them the numbers of the jets and they said that those were meant only for South America and they sent me the proper set for northern Europe. The orifices of the European ones were smaller and worked better. I don't know if that is of any significance to you or not.

On the other hand I remember our deceased friend Danny McNulty saying that few espresso machines worked well with gas. He used one in his first cart, but always looked for an electric hookup because the boiler heated much faster on electric.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Problems with gas (on my espresso machine)

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Welcome to TMC Rob :D. I hope you get the problem sorted.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 am

Welcome to TMC Rob.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby RobLockyear » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. I will have a look down the "jet" alley and see if that makes a difference. It is amazingly frustrating to be sold a machine and have no technical support available. Really gets my goat! The empty shop on my street is starting to look quite tempting now. Nice La marzocco, stable temps, running water, electricity... that would be the life!
RobLockyear

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:27 am

Nice and warm too ..... go on go on, you know you want to ...... :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Off Topic