Vacuvin - yes or no?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Rujir wrote:... I am aware of the fact, that it is not possible to preserve the freshness of coffee. All I need to know is, if the vacuum harms the coffee or not..... But I think that I have to find out on my own...

Please let us know your thoughts after trying this.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Rujir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Of course, I will. I'll just need some time to do the proper testing.
Rujir

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Rujir, I think the question should be, how much coffee do you drink per week?

A subscription from Hasbean or SqMile, can be for as little as 250g per week. In that case you shouldn't need to store, let alone vaccuum any beans.

Best storage for coffee is DON'T. Drink it! If you must vaccuum, my suggestion is use a ziplock, like Bruce suggested. Then put the ziplock into a vaccuum bag and seal that. But you have to work with small quantities, otherwise it is a total waste.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Rujir » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

JulieJayne wrote:Rujir, I think the question should be, how much coffee do you drink per week?

A subscription from Hasbean or SqMile, can be for as little as 250g per week. In that case you shouldn't need to store, let alone vaccuum any beans.

Well, you know, I need approximately 0,5kg of coffee a month. However I assume that both Hasbean and SM will send the beans at the beginning of the month (SM sends it the first thursday of every month and I've got no idea about HB). That's why I'm asking.

I know that every storage degrades the quality of coffee, but I want to find the best possible way and I definitely wouldn't like to cause more harm than good (by sucking out of aroma).

So the best way would be to put it into small zip lock bags and then vacuum?
Rujir

Postby bruceb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:46 am

Rujir, I think what we are trying to say is this: As long as you don't subject the beans to heat or light it makes little difference what you do with them. They will be stale after 3 weeks. If you can live with their staleness then don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Rujir » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 am

Many thanks. So the last question - what does it mean heat? Is room temperature OK or not?
Rujir

Postby bruceb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 am

Rujir wrote:Many thanks. So the last question - what does it mean heat? Is room temperature OK or not?

In my opinion yes.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby JulieJayne » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Depends on the room temperature. But I always reccommend a cool dark place. Not a fridge.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Rujir » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:08 pm

JulieJayne wrote:Depends on the room temperature. But I always reccommend a cool dark place. Not a fridge.

Room temperature is usually 22C. I know that exactly. :lol: However you know how it is in apartments - there is either room temperature or fridge, nothing between.
Rujir

Postby lsjms » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 am

Room temperature is between hot and cold, and could include cool and warm. Technically 22 = just right in the UK.

For coffee storage(and other produce) as Julie says cool and dark. I think you can go as cool as you like, even down to fridge temps. The lower the better for the storing. The real problem with fridges is their ability to dry things out as well as the resulting changes as they rapidly warm up/ cool down.

You seem highly motivated as well as concerned for freshness, have you thought about roasting your own?:)
lsjms

Postby Rujir » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 am

lsjms wrote:You seem highly motivated as well as concerned for freshness, have you thought about roasting your own?:)

Of course, however right now its not possible. :cry: I don't have time for this. That's still my biggest problem - time. But I think it's the same for everyone, isn't it? Maybe when I am older. :oops:

PS: Drying of beans should be avoided in the fridge if they are stored in airtight container, shouldnt it?
Rujir

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:00 am

I personally would not put them in the fridge. They will pick up odors from other foodstuffs, will pick up moisture and deteriorate faster than keeping them at 20°C. I've done it, tried it, verified it. But then again, if you feel the need, try it and find out yourself.

Time is truly a problem. I have been "retired" for a few years and yet my days are still too short, there are still many more things that I would like to do than I have time for. That's part of the game, I'm afraid.
bruceb

Postby Lambo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:37 pm

22 degrees for the UK?!? :shock:

Just call me Ebeneezer: my thermostat's on 20!
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Previous

Return to Off Topic