Fly Fishing anyone?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Any takers - advice/tips etc?

Nothing more serene than walking along the bank early in the morning and sitting down with a camp stove, making a brew and watching everything unfold. Catching fish is just a bonus!
espressomattic

RE: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Hmmmmmmmm, must be nice to be retired. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lsjms » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:11 pm

There's no brewing or sitting with fly fishing, it's the fishing equivalent of sniping. It's sounds like you would prefer carp fishing, although catching a carp is not really a bonus. I fish with a Kiwi, all he ever wants do do is get the spinners out. Over here fly fishing is a religion to some, like coffee. Wet line or dry? Hand tied? Success relates to how many Scottish landowners you know.
For me the fishing is all about the eating!
lsjms

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Carp fishg - Been there, done that BORING!

Flys all the way for me, prefer Dry Fly, but am learning the art of Nymphing with an indicator. Prefer using a weight forward floating line. Did catch my first wild Rainbow 2 weeks ago on a NZ Nymph set up - 1.5KG and in beautiful condition. Trouble is the local stream I fish is full of very wary fish, lots of trees and notoriously tough to fish.

A big bonus is that a local shop assistant is also a guide (Billy Connoly is a client) and he has offered to take me out any time.

Lure fishing for trout doesn't really appeal to me unless I really want to catch for food. I want to approach it from quite a 'basic' standpoint.

It is actually really interesting learing how to read the water/local insects etc. Mind you, I am struggling with nymphing on a river bed that has rather large stones and varies in speed and depth a lot.
espressomattic

Re: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm

espressomattic wrote:Any takers - advice/tips etc?

Yup, don't fall in and don't hook your head! Have fun :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:25 am

The best advice always comes from the wise :D
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Re: RE: Re: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 am

Aadje wrote:The best advice always comes from the wise :D

Or put in other words: "Takes one to know one." :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Re: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby DrTom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:01 am

I have used spinners for about 12 years but have always wanted to give fly fishing a go, but it seems quite expensive to 'give it a go'! (and much like you, the river I fish is difficult - it has a pre-requisite for you to be able to climb trees and rocks and then dodge more trees and rocks while fishing) If you wanted to get a brew on while you fished I'm sure that bait/float would be the best way - I just can't stand it!!
DrTom

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:08 am

Aadje wrote:The best advice always comes from the wise :D

Or in their absence I tend to answer ....... :roll: :wink:

bruceb wrote:Or put in other words: "Takes one to know one." :lol:

Funny you should mention that .......... :oops:

Edit: Typo king
Last edited by CakeBoy on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks for the tip Murk...

DrTom, the whole clambering through the bush adds to the fun I reckon, but after the 5th time of the line getting caught it does get tiresome! Fly fishing is pretty cheap I have found. You can pick up a half decent set up for about the equicilent of 50 quid. The line is the most expensive at over $100 a go here...
espressomattic

Postby geedee » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:51 pm

If you want a different view of what fly fishing is about try reading Geirarch's 'Trout Bum', or 'Sex, Death and Fly Fishing'. There is a lovely quote in the latter along the lines of how we pretend trout are hyper intelligent because being outwitted by an intelligent being is OK, but being beaten by a dumb fish isn't good for the ego.

I wonder which is more addictive, coffee or fly fishing?
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby double_shot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:26 pm

geedee wrote:
I wonder which is more addictive, coffee or fly fishing?

At this moment in time fly fishing does have a certain appeal for me at least.

But then I'm like a fish out of water with my new kitchen accessories. :)

><(((*>

double_shot

Re: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby Johnmac » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 am

espressomattic wrote:Any takers - advice/tips etc?

Nothing more serene than walking along the bank early in the morning and sitting down with a camp stove, making a brew and watching everything unfold. Catching fish is just a bonus!

It's good to hear that you've discovered this. I reckon its one of the very best things NZ has to offer. For me it's as much about exploring backcountry rivers and lakes as it is catching trout.

Here are a couple of links to check out.

Some very knowledgeable people at the NZ flyfishing forum.
http://www.flyshop.co.nz/cgi-bin/forum/ ... act=SC;c=1

Sexy loops is fun too. Check out the promo for their vid: don't get a helicopter lift up the river if they're walking up!
http://www.sexyloops.com/index.shtml

The South Island has some incredible brown trout fishing. Nymphing is perhaps even more important there. If you're heading down that way, this book is very useful. It's my favourite fishing book, written by a local poet Brian Turner: beautifully written and interspersed with his poems.
http://www.trout-books.co.nz/proddetail.asp?prod=b0163

Mike Weddell has a very methodical approach in teaching others about fly fishing, worth checking out.
http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/book-weddell-trout-easy.htm

As for coffee v fly fishing. I love coffee but if it was a choice between never having another espresso or never fly fishing again the coffee would go!
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

RE: Re: Fly Fishing anyone?

Postby espressomattic » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Cheers for the Links John - been out practising my double hauls at the reserve this morning. I agree with the sentiments about exploring as well. Catching a fish is a bonus. I am off down South in a few weeks and will be in Cromwell, so will be looking at the rivers there.

Next week I am off into the Kaimais to fish the Waitawheta River. Hooked my first Brownie there (Failed to land it) so no I have an idea about what I am doing...

You know I was thinking the same today, if I had a choice - coffee would go.

Where in NZ are you John?
espressomattic

Postby Johnmac » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:23 am

espressomattic wrote:Cheers for the Links John - been out practising my double hauls at the reserve this morning. I agree with the sentiments about exploring as well. Catching a fish is a bonus. I am off down South in a few weeks and will be in Cromwell, so will be looking at the rivers there.

Next week I am off into the Kaimais to fish the Waitawheta River. Hooked my first Brownie there (Failed to land it) so no I have an idea about what I am doing...

You know I was thinking the same today, if I had a choice - coffee would go.

Where in NZ are you John?

Hi Matt

Knowing how to double haul is very useful in NZ: it's often windy coping with that is a big thing. I usually only use a single haul on my backcast. If you're working on casting Paul Arden's materials on the Sexy Loops site are really good. One of his big things is accentuating the stop.

Something that I should practice but don't is casting a very heavy nymph with with a short line - i.e. 2 ft of fly line. Quite often need to do this and there's often not a big margin for error if you muff the cast.

I'm living in Australia now but get back to NZ as often as I can.

Some great fishing close to Cromwell. I'll PM you a few places, including directions for a place where you might find one or two of these...
Attachments
IMG_1338 (500 x 375).jpg
IMG_1338 (500 x 375).jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Next

Return to Off Topic