It's a... something

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

It's a... something

Postby RisingPower » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Somehow I didn't think coffee dosers were to be used for hot chocolate normally?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZZER-Brushed-St ... 48391b9eb9

More importantly, why would you dose hot chocolate? :?
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

RE: It

Postby bruceb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 pm

It's a doser for ground coffee. I've seen them in shops that only have one grinder using it so that two bariste don't get in each other's way or for a second sort (e.g. decaf) either preground or just ground ahead in the normal grinder.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: It

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Oooh, that's a bit naughty calling it a grinder... as it doesn't! The pic would seem carefully cropped too!

As Bruce says, this is for people who want to look more professional than shoving a spoon in a jar/bag. It's no better than that though!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Re: RE: It

Postby RisingPower » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:09 pm

bruceb wrote:It's a doser for ground coffee. I've seen them in shops that only have one grinder using it so that two bariste don't get in each other's way or for a second sort (e.g. decaf) either preground or just ground ahead in the normal grinder.

Indeed, but note how it's been used for hot chocolate. Correct me if i'm wrong but hot chocolate in a doser? :)

Note to self, misleading title :)
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

RE: Re: RE: It

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 pm

I wonder whether grindz would help clean this out :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 pm

i've seen these in loads of shops, they just use them to dose in some chocolate powder for hot chocolates and mochas etc. Pret use them i think

but i never understood the need for a tamper/leveler until you pointed out the use as a pre ground doser.
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby RisingPower » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:50 pm

That's most interesting, I guess maybe it makes it a bit quicker to serve a mocha.
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby darrensandford » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 am

It makes sense, actually. Rather than empty the bag of chocolate into a jar and fiddle about with a spoon, just dose and go.
darrensandford

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:57 am

Whatever people use them for they are designed for coffee. Cocoa powder is much too fine to be dosed in that manner and cleaning the thing would be a nightmare.

The one shown above is called a Mazzer Top and can be seen on thispage.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Off Topic