A day in the lab

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A day in the lab

Postby kingseven » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:36 am

On Friday I went down to a restaurant called The Fat Duck in the little village of Bray.

Very nice place it is too - though I think my kitchen at home is bigger than theirs, but I can't get 3-star food out of mine!

As far as I know they are the only restaurant in the world with a lab - which is where I spent the day with their head of food research. In return for the little I know about coffee and my offer to do some staff training on milk and beverage pouring they were willing to help me with a signature drink for competition.

I can't really give too much away at this stage but we spent a long time looking at the fat soluble flavours in coffee (as opposed to all the water soluble ones which make it into the cup - especially the bitter ones like trigonelline etc) We got some very interesting flavours from the (rather wonderful) beans - though two men getting through 750g of beans (and thats just the espresso end) in one day leaves you a little twitchy.

It was great fun to play with proper science kit again (no beakers or heating plates or cooling thingymajigs since chemistry a-level for me) and it interesting to see how far you can manipulate flavour and food.

Sadly I didn't get to eat in the restaurant (and to be honest I was frankly unwilling to stump up the £150 odd quid for the tasting menu and wine) but they have just bought a pub next door that does very very good food, and not at stupid prices. (sell over)

So - perhaps this will be the first year someone uses liquid nitrogen in competition!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Raf » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:53 am

Good luck, King. Sounds very interesting.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:00 pm

Finally a good restaurant which also put all their effort in the cream on the cake. In NL most star-rated restaurants just use pods to be sure of consistency, but as we all know this will not give the result of fresh beans and the hand of a barista. So maybe this is the first step.
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Return to Off Topic