more WinXP SATA problems

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

more WinXP SATA problems

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 am

Hi guys,

so I've finally managed to install a fresh WinXP on one of my two SATA drives (brand new ones) and I've run into some problems again:|

When booting up this morning I got this message on the logon screen:

"WINDOWS DELAYED WRITE FAILED." Windows was unable to save all the file data for the file E:/$mft. The data has been lost, it then goes on to say that this may be caused by a hardware or network failure etc etc."

I kept clicking OK, got a bunch of those messages for various files and I had to reboot as I was pretty sure the system wouldn't run properly. The next boot up was flawless and the system was running stable without any problems.

So the question is, what the hell is going on? I'm pretty sure the drives are ok and healthy, so it's either the coms between the drives and the mobo, the mobo itself (SATA controller?) or WinXP acting up. Anyone ever had a similar problem? The SATA drives are running in JBOD mode, so it's not a RAID, just single drives.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: more WinXP SATA problems

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:02 am

It could be one of a number of things, including physical drive write issues, potentially exacerbated by the JBOD set-up you are using. The path above denotes an E: 'drive'. Do you have a C: and if so what is on it? I vaguely remember you were considering dual boot?

I'm thinking you may either have an error in the registry with XP looking to write to the wrong location and not finding it, or for some reason you have a second installation of XP, hence the E: denotation. It is difficult to determine the cause of some issues without actually seeing the computer.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: more WinXP SATA problems

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:11 am

mft is the master file table and if it is corrupted there is a second copy available. If your OS is on E: this could become a serious problem. Like Cakey says, we need more information. Also, are you running a good, up-to-date virus scanner?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

re

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 am

Hi guys,

it might not actually be 'E:/' in the message, I just copied and pasted a generic message, the drive letter might be different on my PC. I check to see if I get the same error today when I get back from work and if so will note down the files and drive letters.

I do have my old WinXP image installed on the second SATA drive, but I'm currently booting from the first one, so I don't get to choose what system boots up.

No virus scanner (haven't used one for ages to be honest), I'm just careful when it comes to dodgy emails and websites:) I'm thinking of flashing the mobo BIOS and updating the SATA drivers.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:31 am

There is a lot of malware that screws with the mft, so be forewarned. Something happened to cause that error message. You may want to check the disk(s) for errors using automatic repair of disk and sectors. It means rebooting and takes awhile, but it may give you an idea of what is going on. Also, defragmenting after checking is a good idea. Or you can just leave it all as it is and hope for the best. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi Bruce,

I've googled a bit and it seems like it's a common problem with SATA drives and there's various causes/solutions available. Will have to experiment some more today and see if it changes anything.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi guys,

ok so the same thing happened again, this time though it looks like the problems I was getting before. Symptoms:

- I can hear the hard disk clicking, sort of like it wants to turn but stops suddenly and then starts over again

- the systems sometimes boots into the login screen and freezes, sometimes doesn't detect the SATA drives at all and gives me a 'no system' error like there's nothing connected to the PC (harddisk-wise)

I have no idea what it is and the strange thing is that it was doing that with the old ATA drive as well. Looks like it might not be the drive fault and might be something else.

Do you think it might be a faulty PSU not being able to handle the disk drives? The symptoms seem to go away after I leave the PC on for around 10-15min (even in a non-bootable stage, just the fact that the power is on is enough), as if something heats up properly and then carries on working properly.

Regards,
dsc.

EDIT: anyone knows any good PC hardware forums where someone might be able to help?

dsc

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Tom, I've had similar problems with weak or failing power supplies, although the clicking does sound like a dying hard drive. One thing to do would be to open up the power supply and look at the electrolyte condensers. If they are bulged they are on their way out and a new power supply would be in order. If you need a new power supply I recommend name brand ones with adequate power output. They're more expensive, but it's definitely worth it. I guess you know that you have to make sure the connectors are right for your mainboard. Nothing is really standardised these days.
bruceb

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi Bruce,

well it's more like trying to spin rather than clicking. My old ATA has been doing that trying-to-spin thing for a few months now and I could still access all the data and everything was working properly after leaving the PC on for 10-15min. Plus when it was very hot in the flat during summer the PC would boot properly on first try, during winter it was more like 6 resets and then boot up. I've measured the 5V line on the PSU and it's around 4.5V which I'm guessing is not good. Dunno how sensitive to supply voltage drives are, but it might be the problem.

I've already picked out a nice Antec PSU just in case, it's a bit expensive and 550W, but better to have a decent one than worry later. The one I've got now was a very good and recommended one when I was buying my rig around 5 years ago.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:23 pm

I think a new psu is wise. Meanwhile, try disconnecting your second drive and booting up a few times to see if the lower load alleviates the issue. If the clicking/noise persists and is on the hard drive containing the o/s you prefer to boot from, I would definately undertake the physical tests Bruce described as it may still be on its way out. As a precaustion you may want to image your drive now and make sure all back-ups are kept up to date.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Off Topic