used, empty coffee bags with valves

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

used, empty coffee bags with valves

Postby dsc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi everyone,

has anyone found a good use for old used valve-fitted coffee bags? I've got like 50 stuck in a box and was wondering what to do with them.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: used, empty coffee bags with valves

Postby Bombcup » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:15 pm

I once found a hedgehog complaining of hypothermia. Popped the chilly little chap in a foil valve bag, gave him a hot cup of sugary tea and he was right as rain in no time.

Not neccessarily a true story.
Bombcup

Postby Bombcup » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 pm

I pop one on each of my mule's hooves before letting him walk on the carpet. Elastic bands keep them on.
Bombcup

Postby Bombcup » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 pm

I used one to line the pocket of my jacket as a makeshift repair for a hole it had aquired
Bombcup

Postby Bombcup » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:25 pm

They're very popular in the world of Goldfish Russian Roulette where one fills a valve bag with water, places a goldfish inside, seals, then attempts to run to a friend's house to deposit the fish into his aquarium before the water drains out of the valve.
Bombcup

Postby Bombcup » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Tape over the valves, inflate several bags, then jump on them in quick succession to fool your neighbours into thinking you are having a lavish fireworks party. Works best on a foggy night.
Bombcup

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:40 am

I wear them on my head on rainy days, taking turns with each eye to peep out of the one way valve. We re-housed Dom in another. Happy days.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby darrensandford » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:43 am

"TMC Top Tips" :D
darrensandford

re

Postby dsc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:03 am

Hi guys,

ah yes as usual some good advice:D will try the wear on your head idea, as well as the mule strap-ons. I guess I can also use them as something to eat soup from.

But seriously, perhaps the valves can be reused? or the whole thing somehow recycled? dunno if it's the same stuff as plastic on water bottles or whether it's recyclable.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby Jem_Bean » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Well we pack a good portion of our products in pre-made valve bags (1kg, 500g, 250g etc). We have them in lots and lots of different shiny colours, and we often take them down to the local orphanage. It's not a big place, and it's not well looked after, but it's all they can afford... for those poor kids...

Sometimes we take the bags down to them and let the children make collages. one of them, Little Timmy, made a picture of a pile of coffee bags the other day. He's not the brightest but works hard.

Sometimes the orphans put on a show for the carers - they use the bags as hand puppets and paint eyes and mouths, using the valve as a tiny round nose - adorable.

(Please note - this is also not necessarily true, just something i would like to do written as though i do already do it...)
Jem_Bean

Re: RE: re

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Jem_Bean wrote:Sometimes the orphans put on a show for the carers - they use the bags as hand puppets and paint eyes and mouths, using the valve as a tiny round nose - adorable.

I know that, during the summer, Steve runs a very successful Punch and Judy show in Stafford town centre using just this technique. He mentioned something recently about starting a new series of vidcasts called "InMyPuppet"... at the time it didn't really seem like the kind of thing we would want to recommend on TMC...
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

RE: Re: RE: re

Postby slapthelownote » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:40 pm

I use them to masking tape onto walls to catch the debris when I'm drilling holes in my endless DIY make my house look nice quest. I have a lot of holes in the wall now, but no more empty bags :)
Iberital MC2
Expobar Leva/Lever
Aeropress
Saeco Superautomatica Family
slapthelownote

Re: RE: Re: RE: re

Postby GreenBean » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:54 pm

slapthelownote wrote:I use them to masking tape onto walls to catch the debris when I'm drilling holes in my endless DIY make my house look nice quest. I have a lot of holes in the wall now, but no more empty bags :)

Brilliant! :D It just goes to show that if a TMC thread runs for long enough you will eventually get a sensible, practical suggestion. It should not be too long now before the compete works of Shakespeare appear in a thread. :P

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: re

Postby DrTom » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:43 pm

I like to set concrete in them and build forts with the 'bricks' in my back garden - fighting the zombie hoard is never dull, and I'm recycling!
DrTom

Re: RE: Re: RE: re

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:53 pm

GreenBean wrote:It should not be too long now before the compete works of Shakespeare appear in a thread. :P

We have a team of monkeys (also known as Matt & Steve) working on that according to the (Not Quite) Infinite Monkey Theorem. Though we are slightly concerned that it may take us a few years to spell-check their efforts properly! :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Next

Return to Off Topic