Any Magimix owners out there?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Any Magimix owners out there?

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:22 pm

This is way off topic, so I suppose it should be in the Espresso or Beans section, but here you go:

Do any of you have experience with Magimix food processors? There seem to be maniacal enthusiasts and their opposites. I don't want to make bread dough, I want it for all around kitchen duty, chopping nuts, herbs, etc. Is there any model anyone can recommend? I cannot figure out exactly what the differences between the 5100, 5200, 4200, etc. are. Prices vary considerably.

I've read some really bad things about bearings going out, motors burning up, etc. The one time I used one I thought it was the cat's whiskers.

Thanks for any insights, and again, sorry for posting off-topic in the off-topic section.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Any Magimix owners out there?

Postby leecb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:43 pm

You should get the 5200 series as the main difference is the motor size, hence the price difference, and this is the size with the most powerful motor. It is the one that will be strong enough for most things you will want to use it for (-but NOT grinding coffee obviously!!)
They are, in my experience, the best domestic food processors on the market. The only thing is that like all food processors you need to take care of the central spindle, not forcing the blades and stuff on and off as this can cause the motor and bearing problems. Also make sure you get the one with the pulse button as it is really useful.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Bombcup » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Ha! We just got one as a wedding present. Worst thing that ever came in to the house. Now La Peppina has to live in the cupboard.

Seems to mix stuff competently, didn't burn out when making meatballs like our old Kenwood did, and has long warranty on the motor - 6 years I think. Shame really, the sooner it dies the sooner my gorgeous lever machine returns to the counter top.

Requires much cleaning.
Bombcup

Postby Richard14 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm on my third. Never had a problem. Just upgraded to bigger and newer models - parts are expensive so 'cheaper' to replace than repair. Currently on the 5100 which does everything I want and more besides - never used any of the special attachments.
Last edited by Richard14 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izzo Duetto, Mazzer Mini E
Richard14

Postby Hugo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:00 pm

We got the shiny 5200ish one... demolished a spindle within a year of really hard abuse... and I wish I was rich and could buy a Robotchef. None of that panzy plastic... but eyewatering prices!

However, for domestic use it's easily tough and powerful enough unless you try something stupid.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby dr.chris » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 pm

I Got fed up of cheap machines which did a crap job and died fast (false economy) so went for the top of the range cuisinart and havnt looked back since.

Its been about 6-8 months and I use it for kneeding bread 3-4 times a week amongst other things. Wish we had got one years ago and its a great lump of curvy chrome so looks much better than the Magimix. Also has 20 years guarantee
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Re: RE: Any Magimix owners out there?

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:51 am

Hugo wrote:We got the shiny 5200ish one... demolished a spindle within a year of really hard abuse...

The only hard work mine got was the first time I used it for pasta,, YES, Demolished the spindle :shock:, I would say the spindle is the weak point in an otherwise fine machine.
orrinoconnor

RE: Re: RE: Any Magimix owners out there?

Postby motoman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:38 am

I've had the 5100 with all the extras for many many years, never gave me any trouble and is the best machine I ever used for grating carrots for carrot cake. I now use a Bamix Gastro for blending for soups and purees, whipping cream and eggs for ice cream as it takes only seconds to clean.

The Robo Chef is the ultimate to aim for, the semi pro models of any kitchen appliance is always going to outlast the cheaper domestic models. Once you realise that you only get what you pay for, your kitchen becomes a pleasure to work in.

Living in a very old house with a small kitchen, having the best which is always the heaviest, can be a hernia inducing risk, You have to share the same worktop every time a different machine is required, this is why the Bamix came into my life.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: Re: RE: Any Magimix owners out there?

Postby lsjms » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:29 am

A new spindle is a tenner. I imagine they put it there to avoid damage to larger more expensive parts. Cuisinart give 20 years on the motor only, Magimix have done 12 years since they started. They all just fall apart around the motors so 12-20 years is sort of useless, as it's never the motor packing up.

The robot coupe r301 is a workhorse of the catering industry, but you still chew through lids unless you buy a steel one which costs about a million pounds.

I have a Magimix 2800s, from the days. If you flip it over it says "Robot Coupe - Made in France"

All spares still available here for my machine and others;
http://www.magimix-spares.co.uk/
never needed though, the original spindle is fine after 20ish years!
lsjms

Return to Off Topic