Old Eyes

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Old Eyes

Postby bruceb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:36 pm

This is a description of my most recent experience in refitting my 67-year old body with artificial replacement parts.

I've been interested in vision much of my adult life. My doctoral thesis was on the first and second optical ganglia of the house fly, peculiarly enough. I left that field after about 12 years, but my interest in vision and optics has remained. Thus it was interesting for me to observe my own vision beginning to fade as I passed my 60th year on the planet. As time went on my left eye delivered a less and less distinct image as the result of cataract, a clouding of the lens, to the point that I had only 30% visual acuity in that eye.

Replacing the biological lens with a synthetic intraocular lens implant is a routine operation performed in almost all nations of the world thousands of times daily. The success rate is greater than 90%. The operation, which takes about 15 minutes, is usually performed under local anaesthesia in an ambulatory setting and the patient can return home the same day. After the surgery an eye patch is placed over they eye and remains in place for about 24 hours to let the eye recover and protect it from mechanical trauma and microbial assault. The operation is not without its dangers and things do sometimes go wrong. Mostly, however, the results depend upon the willingness of the patient to follow all the instructions of putting drops in the eyes up to 10 times per day for a few days and also not to bend over or pick up anything heavy for 14 days.

When the ophthalmologist removed the patch the day after the operation I couldn't repress my surprise. What a shock it was to see everything clearly and especially much more brightly. If my eye was a photographic lens we would say it is at least a full f-stop greater than with the old lens. The reason is that not only does the lens often become "foggy" with age, it also discolors as if a yellow-brown filter was in front of it. The plastic lens is "water clear" and thus delivers an unfiltered image. It's astonishing how bright everything is. The fact that my right eye delivers a comparatively darker, yellow-brown image is compensated quickly for by the brain.

It is interesting to observe the paintings of the great J.M.W. Turner over the years of his life. People have attributed the darker, warmer hues in his later paintings to psychological factors, but most likely he really saw the world around him in those tones as he grew older. My ophthalmologist felt uncertain whether it would have been better if Turner had received an implant. For me, personally, there is no question. I am delighted with the results. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Old Eyes

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:10 am

Crikey Bruce, too many big words for us mere lesser intellects ;)

Seriously though, really pleased you are seeing the workd afresh again and through as it were, new eyes! :)

Trouble is mate thatall those lovely warm hued and terracotta looking cremas were in reality pale and *$ like? :P
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:22 am

Delighted that it has worked out so well for you Bruce and it is great to see you back on TMC. 8) :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:50 am

Ace news Bruce.
Just don't go shoving your head under your naked PF again to watch pours! :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby fred25 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 am

I think Turner also had increasing problems focusing his eyes as he got older... :lol:

Great to hear the operation went well, Bruce! Friend of mine could barely read things a feet away before his, and had worn glasses for 30 years before the operation, which he never needed afterwards. In fact he said he couldn't remember seeing that well, ever! Astonishing procedure.

Wonderful to hear of that it had great results for you too! :D
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:25 am

Gouezeri wrote:Just don't go shoving your head under your naked PF again to watch pours! :wink:

Oh damn! That's why everything looked brownish these last years! :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby triptogenetica » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I've been interested in vision much of my adult life.

Only at TMC! (I read Hubel and Wiesel's work in my 2nd year of medicine, which was fascinating, but I'm a generalist, I think)

Glad to hear your op went well! There's something really satisfying, i find, in medicine that goes well.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:18 pm

triptogenetica wrote:
I've been interested in vision much of my adult life.

Only at TMC! (I read Hubel and Wiesel's work in my 2nd year of medicine, which was fascinating, but I'm a generalist, I think)

That's great. It's rare to find medical students who are willing to go back and read original literature. Almost no one does that anymore. How many people have read Darwin's work? I don't mean someone's interpretation or Scientific American discussions of Darwin, but "On the Origin of the Species by Natural Selection?" Even very few scientists have, yet they would go to the pillory defending it.

I did my thesis and post-doc work at the Institute of Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen at a time that all the big names in physics were turning to biology. Günter Stent, my first molecular biology teacher, Seymour Benzer, Max Delbruck and others were going to solve the problems of life on earth. It was an exciting time. Francis Crick would come to my lab to drink tea because "it is the only place to get a decent cup." In the end the results seem disappointing and Benzer warned me at the time to get my degree and go on to something more promising, which I did.

Glad to hear your op went well! There's something really satisfying, i find, in medicine that goes well.

No kidding. The titanium hip on my right side is also proof of that. Anyone who has suffered the pain of joint necrosis for years before proper diagnosis and prosthetic surgery can not help but to sing a song of praise for the surgeon. :wink:
bruceb

Postby Beanie » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:00 pm

YAY, Bruce! Great that you're finding it easier now to read this post :D Just be careful if things start looking smaller.. especially if it starts fading from black-to-yellow again :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:12 pm

I, ummmmm, uhhhhh, well, I thought, ummmmm, must need new glasses, maybe new monitor, awwww heck.
bruceb

Postby Beanie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:45 am

*giggle*
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby triptogenetica » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:21 am

It's rare to find medical students who are willing to go back and read original literature. Almost no one does that anymore.

True - but the Oxford course is 6 years rather than 5, which allows time for that sort of thing. (Our third year is an intercalated honours degree, completely-not-clinical-medicine, but interesting) :)
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby EricC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:51 am

Wow,

Congratulations Bruce, hope you manage a speedy and successful recovery.
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for all the well wishes. So far things are "looking great." I go in for the 2-week check up tomorrow and hope that all is well.
bruceb

Postby Jules » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 pm

I watched a few of these operations when I was a medical student. It's a brilliant operation.

The opthalmologist I was with used to warm up the intraocular lenses on top of a CRT monitor for several minutes. Apparently this makes it easier to fold it into the small shape needed to squeeze it into the tiny incision.
Jules

Return to Off Topic