Windows 7 RC

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Windows 7 RC

Postby motoman » Thu May 07, 2009 11:57 am

Just downloaded it and I am impressed, it loads faster and gets very close to upstaging the Mac. I had the Beta which was merely an improvement on Vista.

I am now downloading the Virtual PC and XP mode software so that I can run older programs and hardware.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: Windows 7 RC

Postby bruceb » Thu May 07, 2009 4:32 pm

On a new, fast machine with 4GB RAM I found it slower and less responsive than XP. I've never had Vista, so I can't compare it to that.

Edit: Corrected a small error of 1000. Thanks Tom. :oops:
Last edited by bruceb on Fri May 08, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dsc » Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 am

Hi guys,

I'm guessing that was 4GB of RAM Bruce:) if it was running a bit slow on the 4GB I'm guessing XP run as a virtual machine might be slow as well.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Sico2 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 am

I was very dissapointed with Vista, even though I had only Home version with my laptop. Now, I am running on XP only for little $20 games or other windows only-based applications. And on Ubuntu for everyday internet, media use-it's a fantastic system.

Once 7 is out and I can test it, may even consider buying one, but as for now, will stick with XP. today everything runs under XP, 7 already was considered as faulty system, even though it wasn't introduced properly. We'll see. What is it, December, the official date?
Sico2

Postby HughF » Mon May 18, 2009 12:32 pm

We have Vista running on a budget laptop and it does OK; if W7 is really quicker then the 64-bit version would be interesting as the laptop has 4GB RAM and no weird hardware.
My desktop PC at home runs WS 2003 but I'm interested in changing to Windows 7 64-bit plsu a faster system disk once W7 shakes down in 2010 as some software is vastly more expensive for Server OSs (e.g. DisKeeper. McAfee AV) and non-server hardware (e.g. basic graphics cards, sound cards) is rarely supported well.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Return to Off Topic