I think someone is stealing my mail :|

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I think someone is stealing my mail :|

Postby dsc » Sat May 02, 2009 10:02 am

Hi guys,

during the last 2 months two packages has vanished, even though the mail man rang me using the entry system in the building I live in asking me to let him in to leave the packages downstairs. Of course each time I got home there's was nothing downstairs near the mailboxes (there are around 12 flats in the building) and I was quite surprised.

Now the last package I ordered was something sent from Glasgow and it was sent on the 30th of April. I was kind of hoping to get it yesterday and again I got a call from the mail man saying that he has a box too big to fit in the mail box. I buzzed him in, but when I got back from work again I found nothing downstairs, only a small package in the mailbox that actually fit in.

So am I going paranoid? maybe stuff from Glasgow takes more than 2 days to get to the south of UK? the thing that's suspicious is that each time the mail man rang me but left nothing, so I'm guessing the packages ended up in the building but somehow disappeared.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: I think someone is stealing my mail :|

Postby motoman » Sat May 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Have you ever considered that it was not the mailman trying to get in?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Sico2 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Next time, go to nearest post office, or royal mail HQ or whatever the call their centers and make a complaint. I did so once, as postman tended to leave me the red label "Sorry, you were out" not even bothered knocking at my door. They usually were leaving the parcels at post, because they were heavy, and obviously post pays only salary to these postmen, who deliver enveloped mail only! :) He got very very unlucky, one day, as I was washing my car and he brought me one of those red labels. Of boy, did he start to mumble and shake and get all nervous etc. Never again did he do that :)

If not this, try to place extra notes the sender once you order anything. "Hand delivery only" or similar.
Sico2

Postby triptogenetica » Sun May 03, 2009 11:40 am

I wonder, might motoman be right about this?

I use my work address for all parcels of value / that don't fit through the letterbox. They hold them safe for me til I turn up, whereas the post office will take them back to some warehouse, etc etc...
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby muckychimney » Wed May 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Dont get me started about Royal Mail, they are so useless they beg belief.

In the last four weeks we've had a first class letter that took 7 days to reach us, one letter from Inland Revenue was returned not known at this address as it was delivered somewhere else which meant a whole load of hassle for mrs mucky, then we've had mail for the folks across the road and we have today learnt that a package posted Special Delivery by mrs mucky has been damaged and the contents broken ! even though it was in a jiffy bag and marked up handle with care.

Every time something gets delivered wrongly I now complain straight away, doesn't get you anywhere but it make you feel better.

I remember when if you complained then you used to get some free stamps as compensation, not anymore ! to55ers
muckychimney

Postby dsc » Fri May 29, 2009 9:25 am

Hi guys,

dunno if it was the mail man (doubt it) or someone from outside simply nicking the packages from under the postboxes, but I now have everything bigger delivered to my work address and only the small stuff that fits through the letter box deliver to my home address. I did get really annoyed a few weeks ago when a pack from SQM didn't come on time and I thought that got stolen as well. Turned out to be a simple delay and I got it eventually.

I guess it will stay as a bit of a mystery as to what was/is going on. I think it would be quite hard to catch someone anyway, you would have to either mount a small camera somewhere near the letter boxes or stay hidden somewhere nearby:) Of course this could be highly inefficient if the packages are stolen in the sorting office or simply get lost somewhere on the road (left in a warehouse somewhere and forgotten or damaged and left).

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Return to Off Topic